Rolleiflex 2.8C Shutter speed dial stuck on B mode.

gonzalo_uriona

<p>Hello, noob here. i just got my rolleiflex 2.8c from the mail today. The Sellers ebay store says it was CLA'd last year and that everything should be fully operational which everything is minus the shutter speed dial. The winding lever works and cocks the shutter. But since its stuck on B mode and i press down the shutter release button nothing happens. The timer should be working but it dosent make any noise or seem to work.<br>

The shutter speed dial seems to get stiffer as the aperture is larger (f2.8) and loosens up a bit as i go into a smaller aperture (f.22) but will not go into the next speed. just stays at B. Sometimes the shutter blades stay open even after i press down the release button and it closes when i jiggle around the shutter speed dial. This is very confusing. could i have gotten bamboozled? i have a 14 day return period. This is really disappointing as the camera is in such excellent condition.<br>

Seller says if i send it back he can get his technicians to take a look at it. But first i want to know if theres a lock button for the shutter speed dial or perhaps some special lock around the camera? i have a rolleicord va type 2 and it works flawlessly but this 2.8 isnt doing anything. <br>

Any suggestions or guesses on what it might be? <br>

i looked for other posts similar to this one but no one seems to have had the problem where the shutter just stays at B. <br>

Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Sounds like it is need of a proper cleaning CLA/Overhaul. There are a lot of camera repair people who have no parts and no real knowledge of working on an old Rollei and they put a little lighter fluid here and there and warm the camera up so old glue gets softer and they can make it seem to work fine. Then a short while later all the problems will return. I have had that sort of thing happen to me multiple times with old LF shutters and Rolleis. You need to send it to a proper Rollei repairman like Harry Fleenor or Krikor. It will probably cost a few hundred dollars. Perhaps send it back and better luck next time.</p>

<p>You said the shutter speed dial gets stiff.<br>

Do you have a manual for the camera?</p>

<p>One thing to remember on the 2.8C is the shutter speed and apertures dials have to pushed in while they are turned; you may already know this but thought I would mention it just in case.</p>

<p>Yes it came with a manual but mentions nothing about what to do if shutter dial gets stuck. yes i noticed that next to both dials there is a lock that needs to be pushes at the same time as turning it. </p>

<p>the shutter speed dial gets stiff when the aperture dial is at 2.8. and loosens up when i get to f22, to the point i can see the B move to the line back and fourth but will not shift over to the next setting 1 second. <br>

Will probably return ship in a day. Those dial locks are rather annoying. Any advice which model to get? Been eyeing a 2.8D. </p>

<p>The 2.8C has "Synchro Compur" on the front of the camera but, with the ability to set intermediate speeds over much of its speed range, and the booster spring for the top speed of 1/500, it is really a Compur Rapid type, as later models did not have either of these features the earlier Compur Rapid models had.<br /><br />You've said the speed dial won't move off "B". You've also said the self timer isn't working. I don't know how you would know the timer isn't working, unless you had tried to set it. You are not meant to use the timer with the B speed (reference: factory 2.8C owners manual, page 26). So I would not be surprised if you have actually jammed the shutter yourself, and if so, this would be why you can now not change the speed.<br /><br />The 2.8C is a terrific model. The locks will prevent the wheels being moved accidentally, but it's actually quite intuitive to use them as designed with the pads of one's fingers as the settings are being adjusted. Comments of other owners are noted, but, personally, I don't find them to be problematic at all. You also get those fabulous Planar or Xenotar lenses in a shutter that has ten aperture blades for round specular highlights at all f stops, the only model Rolleiflex to offer this combination of features.<br /><br />I have a 2.8D as well, and it is a lovely camera, maybe the prettiest Rolleiflex ever made, but it also has the EV coupling system which is easily inadvertently engaged. Given the choice between those locking clips on the C or the EV coupling, I would take the C, but it's a personal choice and peoples' preferences differ.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for the advice/help/info/opinions. I really like the C and it is in such great cosmetic condition (9.5/10). i paid $710 in all for it. I want to send it to krikor as i he has has faster repair time. But at the aame time i want to send it back and get my money back. The first thing i tried to do with it was set it to a different shutter speed and it wouldnt move. so i thought it was liek my rolelicord (that both shutter and aperture were linked and moved together) so i tried moving the aperture dial to see if the shutter speed would move. But it didnt so i realized there was a problem. i then tried all the buttons on it and winding crank. i noticed that the self timer lever dosent engage to anything. just goes up and down. i dont think i broke it. But its frustrating a seller wouldnt test out a camera before shipping it. He told me it had a cla last year and should be working fine. <br>

The seller says he will take a look at it and try to "fix" it. But like d purdy said, the guy might try to fool me with a quick fix. Should i ask him to atleast pay half of the overhaul cost from krikor? </p>

<p>Here is a link to the camera i have bought, note the description of the item. Also realized that the ASA/DIN circular setting in the focusing knob isnt there which dosent bother me but the description says nothing is missing. </p>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolleiflex-2-8C-TLR-Schneider-Xenotar-80mm-f-2-8-serial-1433087-CLA-LAST-YEAR-/141540522921?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=1iVL55egKBUFYyOZK97m1tQMhuw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for hearing my rant guys.</p>

<p>Gonzalo, send it back. Let it be someone else's problem. It is not in good condition, cosmetically or mechanically.<br>

Check out the 2.8D that is on now for what good cosmetic condition is (no connection disclaimer.) I bought a 2.8C that is in just slightly better cosmetic condition than yours, missing the magnifier, but perfect mechanically (one of the most accurate shutters I ever tested) for $85. Let this one go. A 2.8 gets very expensive when you start looking for accessories like filters and a shade. Look for a bargain in a good 3.5 E or F model, later and lighter and an equal picture taker.</p>

<p>I agree with Chauncey and Brett on this.</p>

<p>The 2.8C is a great camera and was the last to have a circular diaphragm. The circular diaphragm gives an interesting look to spectral highlights. The 2.8D is perhaps the most beautiful Rollei, in my opinion.</p>

<p>The 2.8C in the link looks to have Schneideritis. Maybe someone else can verify that. Also, I've had trouble with this seller in the past on a Rolleiflex purchase and had to return the camera. The return was quick and painless, except for his annoying protests that the taking lens wasn't separating (it was!). <br /> Don't overlook a good Automat. While not as luxurious feeling as my 2.8C Planar, my Rolleiflex MX Automat (3.5 Tessar) seems to have better lens character than my 2.8 Planar: crisp and contrasty.<br /><br />If it makes you feel any better, I went through three different Rolleiflexes on eBay before I found one that worked as advertised.</p>

<p>Oh! Be warned that there is a seller in Houston, <a href="http://r.ebay.com/WdxdC7">Rustman77</a>, selling a 2.8D that has undisclosed fungus on the taking lens. He's been trying to sell it for months now. I feel for the poor bloke that gets suckered into buying that camera.</p>

<p>One last thing...<br>

I was very impressed by Mr. Koh of Koh's Camera on Long Island. He is a factory trained Rollei tech. <br>

Here's what impressed me:</p>

<ul>

<li>The item was accurately described, unlike many Rolleiflex sellers I dealt with.</li>

<li>When I had problems operating the camera (mystery bug), I shipped it to Mr. Koh and he tested the camera and over-nighted it to me at no charge despite not finding a problem with the camera.</li>

<li>With the camera returned to me, Mr. Koh included a book on Rolleiflex cameras, and the actual shutter speeds as tested on his bench.</li>

<li>He was genuinely friendly throughout the entire transaction. That matters because a previous seller, mentioned in the post above, was rude. </li>

</ul>

<p>Mr. Koh is on eBay and also has a brick and mortar store:<br>

http://www.kohscamera.com/</p>