Fuji 6x9 Rangefinder Shutter won't release

ray .

Was getting ready to sell my Fuji GW690II and discovered the shutter won't release. It's always worked fine but since

I haven't used it much I don't even remember if the camera needs film loaded for the shutter to fire. Tried opening

the back but no change. Either it's something very simple or the camera has decided after living most of its life in the closet

to get back at me. Hmmm...

Ah, so when the lock button/lever mechanism on the front is flipped so the red dot is showing and the back is open, it does fire off. With the lever flipped so the 'L' shows with the back open it doesn't fire. With back closed it doesn't fire regardless of the position of the lever.

So must be then that it needs film wound on to fire off when the back is closed?

<p>As I have film in mine (a similar GSW690-III) at present I cannot check shutter action when it is empty. I guess that one way that a lock on the firing of the shutter with the back closed and the camera is empty (and front panel lock disengaged) would be if there is a small pin in the film plane that gets depressed when there is film in the camera, thereby unlocking the shutter button mechanism. However, there is apparently no such pin. I assume that the shutter button will simply not depress when the back is closed with no film. That is probably normal and when a film is in the camera and advanced so the shutter can be cocked, the little roller before the take up spool rotates and unlocks the shutter button. In other words, the little roller controls framing distance but also releases the internal shutter lock when film is in the camera.</p>

<p>Not sure my explanation makes sense, but I understand that it requires a film in the camera and advanced to release the in-camera lock on the shutter button. To be sure, place a film in the camera and fire the shutter at number 1 frame with lens cap on and high speed. You can then in the total darkness always remove the film and rewind it back to the start (You can prevent subsequent unrolling with an elastic band).</p>