Really dumb F-801s question...

david_haardt2

<p>Hey guys,<br>

<br /> After a looong time in the digital world, I've decided to give analog photography a try again. Unfortunately the control wheel on my F-301 broke off immediately, so I got a used F-801s in truly excellent condition from a local seller...<br>

<br /> But now I have a really dumb question about that camera: I put my 50/1.8 Nikkor Ai-S on it, selected M as the focusing mode on the camera body, and M (or, later, A) as the exposure mode using the control wheel. I didn't put any film into the camera yet. Before the shutter is released, one can hear a "motoric" sound that lasts about one second. Interestingly, when firing the shutter several times, that sound appears only before the first shutter release, not afterwards - but when switching off and on the camera, that sound can be heard again before the first shutter release. So my question: what is this sound? Can't be film transport, since that sound should be after, not before the shutter release. But is that really the camera's AF sound? I did select M as the focusing mode on the camera body, so I thought that the focusing motor would be switched off in that situation...<br>

<br /> (Interestingly, whether or not the sound appears doesn't seem to be related to whether or not I have focused "correctly", in relation to what is shown in the lower left of the viewfinder display.)<br>

Any pointers would be appreciated ;)<br>

Cheers,<br>

David</p>

<p>It's been an age since I used my F-801s, so I really can't remember if what you describe is normal David, but I think so.</p>

<p>The camera has autoload, and is probably trying to wind a non-existent film to the first frame. The wind-on motor is also used to cock the shutter ready to fire. I'd worry more if I didn't hear a motor whirr! But what you can do is check that the little switch inside the camera that's supposed to detect whether a film is loaded hasn't got stuck in the down position. Next to the take-up spool IIRC.</p>

<p>Hi Michael,</p>

<p>Thank you for your response. I believe you are right - I just found https://www.flickr.com/groups/n8008/discuss/72157628092320999/ at the same moment as I received the notification about your answer. That is comforting. I will put in some film tonight, then I will know for sure...</p>

<p>Is it somehow weird that it feels exciting to shoot analog again? Somehow I can feel this excitement, this feeling of not knowing what the shots will turn out like until I get the film developed... weird! ^^</p>

<p>Also, I was pretty shocked that our local photo store only carries three makes of film these days - Fuji Superia 200, Fuji Velvia 100, and Fuji Provia 100. Fortunately I saw on Amazon that more makes of film are still being produced. (Or at least sold!)</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>David</p>

<p>I'm with Rodeo Joe on this one, film loading sequence, resets to zero when the camera is turned off being no film cassette is in the camera.<br>

Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Roll-Film/ci/2545/N/4093113317 , http://www.adorama.com/c/Films-and-Darkroom/Film , or http://www.freestylephoto.biz/ where you will find a better selection and pricing over Amazon.</p>

<p>David, I still have a copy of the F-801S, which I bought way back in 1996. The sound that you describe is exactly the same one I heard whenever I started "shooting" with the camera when it had no film. I believe the suggestion that it is related to the automatic advance-to-Frame-1 feature is correct. No need to worry. Get a roll of film in that camera ASAP and experiment with it. It was my most-used camera from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s for a good reason, especially because it has good ergonomics, a great viewfinder, and great exposure metering. I have a roll of Ektachrome 100 in my fridge which I really should put into my F-801S and go out and use up. Have fun with it. If you put an AF-S lens on your F-801S, however, you will need to manually focus the lens.</p>