Compact Flash 16GB (SanDisk, Extreme III)

ivan_verschoote1

On eBay one can buy 4 - 4 GB compact cards for less. I'd rather not put all my cards in one basket, if something happened to it, i'd lose it all.

For a couple of hundred more, at tigerdirect.com we could also purchase a laptop, with an 80+ GB drive. I'd copy my pictures to it, then burn them to a CD or DVD, and that would allow me to take a lot more pictures with backup protection. On one six week trip, I took over 7000 by doing this. Even with that size card and a D200 it could fill up fast.

I recently considered larger cards when deciding whether to get a 8 GB Transcend card from Newegg for $86 or get two 4 GB for $45 each. I went with the later. I decided the convenience of a single card is negligible and the risk outweighs it if the card goes bad. I also like the idea of using 4 GBs at a time as that is what fits on a single data DVD.

• 2 months later...

I have to agree with Rob on the Ebay thing. 95% of Sandisk cards on ebay are fake and that is a fact. Just to let you know what these cards really are. The microprocessor in these cards is programmed to say 4gb or 8gb, whatever really yet the available memory on the card is usually only 256mb or so. You are lucky if you have more than this. This is how people get stung. They see these Sandisk cards going cheap and think they're on to a great thing. All Sandisk cards have serial numbers printed on the side of them and Sandisk has a dedicated hotline set up so you can ring them with this serial number and they will tell you if it is fake or not. Here are the numbers if you want to check your cards:

1. SanDisk Australia +61 1800-793-652

2. SanDisk China 10800-852-1251

3. SanDisk Germany 1(49) 695-0072-840

4. SanDisk UK 1(44) 207-3654-193

5. SanDisk USA +1 866-726-3475, SanDisk Extreme Memory Cards +1 866-270-5532

I run an Ebay store myself because I love photography and I want to supply good cards at competitive rates. I mostly sell U-Tek branded memory cards. I find them excellent, I am using an 8gb no problems in my EOS 20D. I have 16gb Cards for less than $210 with shipping. I have just started doing genuine Sandisk cards also using a registered Sandisk distributor. Look for Memotech_ltd on ebay, we have 100% feedback also.

You are probably thinking this is a some kind of cheap advertising but honestly I am so annoyed with these fake cards and people getting ripped off by them. Those 4 x 4gb Extreme cards that were mentioned, I would put a lot of money on them being fakes. So Beware everyone buying online. If you want the real cards for good prices please drop me a line and I will see what I can do.

Thanks.

Stephen Garvey

Memotech

• 3 weeks later...