Canon FD 20mm 2.8

kenneth_pelczar

<p>So I just picked up a Canon FD 20mm 2.8 (silver ring edition), and haven't developed a roll yet, but through the split screen and ground glass on my AE-1 I don't get infinity focus with it. I know wide-angles typically have deep depth of field but I would still think the split would align regardless of focal length. Any advice? Has anyone encountered this issue and if so what's involved in the repair. I haven't developed any rolls yet as I just got the lens, but I'm guessing this isn't how this lens is intended to operate..........</p>

<p>(i) First thing: you can get the split-image to line up when you use your other lenses, correct? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but you need to rule out a problem with the camera.</p>

<p>(ii) Failing that, the lens is not making infinity focus, and it needs to be returned and refunded, or a professional CLA if you intend to keep it. It may have had an amateur repair job before that's fouled up the focusing helix-- or worse, fouled up the optics, so it can't make infinity. </p>

The lens has to be fine tuned for infinity focus, which is a simple job with lots of examples available on the net and discussed several times here. Remove the focus ring rubber band, slightly release the three screws hidden beneath, adjust for infinity, tighten back and reposition band.