fluid mount for drum scanner

bruce watson

I'm looking for a clear, simple explanation of how to mount 4x5 or

8x10 film on a drum for scanning, using a mounting station. I know,

there is no "correct" way to do this, but there are bound to be better

(less messy, faster, neater, more precise...) ways than what I'm

doing. This is something for which I can't find much documentation.

Someone point me toward a source? A URL? A book? A class? Anything at

all???

Good that Aztek has a "movie" of some sort. Any idea what format that file is in? When I look at their homepage's source, it gives a file format of "wmv."

Excuse my ignorance of proprietary formats, but what the hell is a wmv file? Is that a microsoft thing? Mac? What do I need to "play" it?

You have probably decided that wet mount was the best. Otherwise I would suggest that you try dry mount and wet mount of the same slide first and make comparison scans. For me it was obvious that unless the slide had some deffects such as scratches, lots of dust caught in the film emulsion, very coarse grain or washed highlights, and unless the slide was small and needed an extremely high resolution scan, there was not a noticable difference between the results of the two methods. And I hate to mess my slides with Kami gel or anything sticky or oily...

I'd strongly recommend wet mounting. I use Prazio (SDS) light oil and it causes no damage to the film at all. Dry mounting is only recommended for low resolution scans.

Wet mounting is easier demonstrated than described

Quentin, I agree that it would be much easier to have someone demonstrate. Problem is, I don't know anyone who can demonstrate. So I'm doing the best I can, while looking for help. The Japanese call it "continuous improvement" while I call it "thashing around."

Since I don't have anyone to demonstrate for me, I thought I would ask on this forum for help:

"Someone point me toward a source? A URL? A book? A class? Anything at all???"

Hogarth,

In the "Anything at all?" category, I mentioned in my last post the yahoo ScanHi-End group. In the files section, you'll find a file entitled "Mounting-101", which is one member's description of his oil mounting technique. In addition, the 860-odd members of the list have considerable experience of drum scanning, and you should find a lot of help on specifics there - it is probably the web's leading drum scanning peer-to-peer help group.

Quentin

H,

Having just read the .pdf myself, I'm not sure if it is as helpful as I hoped :-( I also see there is a "Hogarth" listed as a member of the ScanHi-End group - and chance that is your goodself?

I was shown how to mount 4x5 trannies by the person I purchased my drum scanner from. I tend to mount just one at a time on my Howtek D4000 drum. I believe that there are some messages on the ScanHi-end group that deal with this, but feel free to email me for my own workflow if interested.

Quentin