Filter mounting ring for Mamyia C220 with 105mm lens

User_2019667

<p>I have just acquired a very nice Mamyia C220 which has a ding in the nurled filter ring on the taking lens. <br>

Does that ring screw off and does anyone know where I can obtain a ring that is not dinged so that I can use a filter. This particular lens takes a 40.5mm filter. <br>

Thanks<br>

John</p>

<p>Nobody's answered yet, so I went rooting through my pile of dusty Mamiya TLR stuff. My old chrome-finish 105/3.5 takes a 40.5mm diameter filter and has a knurled ring, so it appears to be similar to your lens. (If you have a chrome lens, it's probably older than your C220.)</p>

<p>I can't imagine a way to replace that knurled ring, except (a) to take one off a junked lens, or (b) to have a new ring machined, which would cost more than the replacement cost of the lens. (That's the sort of repair S K Grimes specializes in, but it wouldn't be worth it for this lens.)</p>

<p>© A better solution would be to find a tech who can repair the dent in the ring. If you can get it to the point where you can jam a 40.5 - 49mm stepping ring into the threads on a more-or-less permanent basis, you could just use 49mm filters, which are as common as dirt.</p>

<p>(d) If you can't iron out the dent, the guerilla repair is to epoxy (carefully) a 43 - 49mm stepping ring to the *outside* of the lens barrel. It would look terrible, but it should work fine.</p>

<p>Caution: 49mm is just about to the bottom of the viewing lens, so you'd see the modification through the viewing lens if you screwed in a lens hood-- and you need a hood with Mamiya TLR lenses. If this bothers you, you could adapt the lens the same way, but for 43 or 46mm filters. Those are around, but they aren't as common.</p>

<p>Dave,<br>

Thanks for responding with your suggestions. I tried to loosen that chrome knurled ring just with my fingers but it would not budge. Before I try putting a tool to it I jut needed to know if in fact it was made to screw off. <br>

If in fact it does then I could reverse the ring on the taking lens with the one on the viewing lens where a filter would not be needed. I did try the filter on the viewing lens just to make sure it was the right size and yes, it did work fine on the viewing lens. So I guess my next question is it safe to apply light pressure with a tool to remove the chrome ring. </p>

<p>I don't know if the knurled ring comes off, but it looks to me like it's a separately machined ring. But be careful using metal-eating tools; you're a photographer, not a railroad mechanic.</p>

<p>There is a related solution, which is to switch out the whole thing, and move the viewing lens to the shutter. When I apply a little counter-clockwise force to my taking lens, the whole front cell rotates, not just the ring. If you can get the front and back cells off on both lenses, you could do this. If you can't, look for a technician who can do it for you. If you're in the U.S., email Carol at Flutot's (google), who does nice lens and shutter stuff at a reasonable price.</p>

<p>The downside of this is that the lenses were carefully matched in the factory, so if you can't readjust and recalibrate them, you may lose a tiny bit of performance. There may be shims behind the cells to space them optimally. Be carefully you don't lose the shims, and if they fall out, save them and remember where they were.</p>

<p>If it were me, I'd just get a step ring on it and use bigger filters. A chrome 105 is not that pricey to replace, and your lens doesn't have much resale value anyway. It's not like you're putting epoxy putty on the Mona Lisa.</p>

<p>Dave,<br>

Thanks a lot for all your information on trying to fix the problem with my lens ring on my Mamyia C220.<br>

I actually created a tool from a small piece of pine cutting the end of it with my jig saw to fit the inside circumference of the lens ring. I tapped the wood very lightly with a small hammer and I actually was able to get that dented area rounded off enough to accept the filter. All is well. <br>

I figured if I buggered it up any worse that I would replace the entire lens but I got lucky and I am excited to try the camera. <br>

Thanks again for your help Dave. <br>

John</p>

• 2 weeks later...