Price of film

ken_dunn1

<p>I guess we should just be thankful that they are still making film at all, especially LF, but the pricing is comical. I hadn't used much 4x5 in the past couple of years, but just got back into it this year. I had a bunch of Tmax and Ekfe 25 stored up and have been using it up. Well its pretty much gone so I needed to restock. I liked both fine, but of course Ekfe isn't around here anymore, so it was out (and reciprocity was a problem). I wanted to try Acros...... yeah nearly $3 a snap. Tmax, nearly $2. I used to use some Delta 100 in 120 and really liked so I checked it, just over a buck. Sweet. Order placed. Then I thought I would get some for less critical work to burn through so I ordered some Arista EDU for 60 cents per pop. I here its good with a few quality control issues here and there and pretty thin and soft so you have to handle carefully. Just thought it odd how its all over the place with prices. Delta is the same technology as Tmax and Acros but less than half price of the latter. The 120 and 35mm sizes are much more in line with each other. Is it like that in other countries? </p><div>00cu9q-551982784.jpg.4d03f24ca315d04fa2112a8e29edcee1.jpg</div>

<p>The way I look at it, film is the cheapest part of my photography. I spend a lot more on gas getting to places. Acros is great for its low reciprocity failure. I generally shoot HP5, FP4, and now some Acros for my night shots.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

I think Acros is indeed spendy in 4x5, I only shoot it in 120. But for 4x5 I have no issues with the price tag of Tmax 100 &

400, seems pretty good to me in digital year 2014.

For me, Kent is spot on in saying film is on the cheaper end of the equation. For example, I hit the road for 6 weeks at a

time in the Spring and late Fall and when I total the overall operational budget of these highly productive shoots, film

makes up about 5-8% of it.

That's the way I roll, your notch code may vary...

• 2 months later...