How to copy/paste in PN

AmyHelmick

<p>These seems so basic...but after all this time I have problems with putting a quote in any of my responses. Seems like every time I get a "problem with your input" message:</p>

<h2>Problem with Your Input</h2>

<p>We had a problem processing your entry:</p>

<ul>

<li>Because of abuse by spammmers, we can't accept submission of any HTML containing any of the following tags: <code>applet area base body button div embed fieldset font form frame frameset head html iframe ilayer input layer link marquee meta object option pre script select span style textarea /applet /area /base /body /button /div /embed /fieldset /font /form /frame /frameset /head /html /iframe /ilayer /input /layer /link /marquee /meta /object /pre /script /span /style</code></li>

</ul>

<p>Please back up using your browser, correct it, and resubmit your entry.</p>

<p>What am I doing wrong? I've tried both using the quote icon on the top and just copying/pasting as normally would and I keep getting the error message. Is there a particular sequence or something? <br>

It's frustrating to spend time on a response, only to be unable to send it.<br>

Amy<br>

Here, it let me copy/paste the error message. Go figure.</p>

<p>Copy/paste is tricky here. If you copy text from a photo critique/comment page and try to paste it to a photo.net discussion forum page, it may trigger the naughty HTML block alert. And if we try to copy text from another website it will almost certainly mess with formatting on photo.net reply boxes, and often triggers spam blocks. Usually these are just back links to the sites we're copying from, not spam. But the common "div" and "span" tags seem to cause problems, along with incompatible text/font formatting tags.</p>

<p>Besides the blocked HTML intended to thwart spammers, there are also some intermittent glitches. For example, occasionally I'll copy text from someone else's post within a discussion forum page, paste it to my reply box, and still get funky results - the "div" and "span" tags occasionally seem to come out of nowhere and either mess up formatting or trigger the spam alerts.</p>

<p>My own makeshift solution is to copy text and either (1) open the HTML window and paste it as plain unformatted text, or (2) paste it to an offline text editor like NoteTab Light to ensure the HTML is stripped. Then I'll paste the stripped plain text to the photo.net reply window, either in the forums or the photo critique/comment reply boxes.</p>

<p>When all else fails, click on the "HTML" icon on the reply box, and look for the "span" tags - which trigger spam blocks - and "div" tags, which mess up formatting appearance. Delete those and it usually resolves these glitches.</p>

<p>It's occasionally a pain in the neck but I haven't found any other way to avoid the frequent glitches.</p>

<p>There are a number of browser plugins (Firefox, Chrome) which allow you to copy text as plain text without HTML formatting. Google "Copy Plain Text" for suggestions.</p>

<p>Copying and pasting via "Notepad" also works fine, it's just an extra step.</p>

<p>As Lex explained, the usual windows copy text procedure often captures unwanted and unnecessary HTML which the Photo.net filters then reject.</p>