How to carry practically and protect a Yashica Lynx

<p>Hi.<br>

We've got ourselves a Yashica Lynx 5000 and we intend to use it for handheld photography.<br>

There are two questions we think may apply to anyone using a rangefinder: how to carry it around in a way that is practical and encourages using it, and how to protect the body and the lens, which has no cap but we're told can take a 46mm filter.<br>

I'd like to know how you personally solve these issues. Neck strap? Some kind of protective enclosure? We do have the original leather case, but after 50 years it's not something I find comfortable to use, and it doesn't attach to the camera anyway. I'd love a modern soft/padded/fluffly/whatever enclosure with a strap, but I don't know how to look for one.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>The rangefinders I've had (and still have) over the last 55 years sometimes came with a case, which was detached and placed on a shelf and never used again. I've always carried the camera on a neckstrap which I either adjusted or made mysel. It always went over one shoulder bandoleer style so that the camera rested just above my hip and allowed me to swing it behind me for heavy hiking, biking, or fast walking yet swing it forward and up to my eye in an instant. As to caps....I store all my cameras with protective lens caps, but generally don't use them when carrying the camera. Word of caution here...I use a lens cap with cameras which have cloth focal plane shutters in bright sunlight so as to not inadvertantly burn thru the shutter material. You say your case doesn't attach to your camera body, which suggests that originally it had two tabs located right about where the strap lugs are, and when a strap was attached to the camera body encircled the strap holding the case bottom to the camera...a leather repair person could easily make a set for you. By the way, the only time I use a case is for transport of the camera...like in a car or flying somewhere.</p>

<p>Regarding the lens hood, look for a slotted hood to minimize interference with the view/rangefinder. Fotodiox and others sell these for around $10 in many threaded filter sizes.</p>

<p>I usually don't worry about protecting cameras, unless I've borrowed someone else's camera, or it's brand new and I'm considering returning or exchanging it (which I've never done - usually it just takes a few weeks to adjust to a new camera and find it satisfactory).<br>

However...</p>

<p>A half case offers not only good protection for the most vulnerable edges and surfaces, but also improves the grip. My Olympus OM-1 had the niftiest half case I've ever seen, a true work of minimalist genius. Rather than using the tripod socket to affix the half case, it used little leather button-on straplets around the strap lugs. It was lightweight, rigid, didn't interfere with access to any essential controls, improved handling and could quickly and easily be removed and replaced when tripod access was needed, or to change film. It worked so well I never bothered to replace the gummy film door hinge light seals because the half case blocked the minor light leaks well enough.</p>

<p>The tricky bit is finding original half cases for old cameras. It's easier to find custom made half cases for new digital cameras, particularly some of the high end P&S digicams and mirrorless models. Custom makers will also have them for the better classic cameras - Leica, Contax and Nikon rangefinders. But I've never seen a readymade aftermarket half case for the consumer grade rangefinders like the Lynx, Canonets, etc., since the case would often cost more than the camera.</p>

<p>The best way to avoid damaging a camera is to improve the handling. A poorly designed neck strap drives me nuts. For lightweight cameras I prefer a combination neckstrap/wrist strap. I make my own from paracord. I usually carry the camera in my right hand, with the wrist strap for security, and can extend the strap to fit around my neck when I need my hands free. But there are some better looking custom made neck/wrist straps.</p>

<p>Another trick, which some folks won't like for classic cameras, is a stick-on rubbery finger grip doodad from Flipbac.</p>

<p>I've also used 3M/Command "damage-free hanging" white hook-and-loop strips to improve handling on slick cameras. Looks like hell but it works and the adhesive can easily be removed without damaging most surfaces.</p>

<p>I don't have a Yashica Lynx but I do have a Canonet GIII QL17 which is similar in that it is a generic fixed-lens 35mm rangefinder. I've always carried it on its original neckstrap but I haven't done anything to protect it other than put a UV filter over the lens (or a yellow or red filter when shooting B&W). It goes into a backpack along with whatever else we're carrying around if on vacation, or can be stuffed into the pocket of a large jacket during cold weather. I don't see cameras like these as needing any special protection. A filter or lenscap can protect the lens, there's no big LCD screen to scratch or crack, and there's not a lot of protruding parts to snap off.<br /><br />I think the Canonet came with a fitted "never ready" case but I threw it away years ago. I'm more of a user than a collector, so IMHO a little brassing and other cosmetic wear and tear on a camera adds character.</p>