Tel-Aviv Photo Tour

diane_madura

<p>I only had a few hours in Tel Aviv with a conventional tour group but I don't remember there being a whole lot of photographic interest. I did find Jaffa, a few miles south of Tel Aviv, to have some good stuff. Or, if you are not going to Jerusalem, as a part of your trip, I would scrub both Tel-Aviv and Jaffa, and hire a driver to take you there for the day. But there are many on this site much more familiar with Israel than me and I suspect they will be forthcoming with some good advice.</p>

<p>I wholeheartedly agree with Jim. Compared to Jerusalem, which surely must be the most fascinating city in the world in terms of photo ops (combine the modernity with the ancient and throw in the religious ties to Judaism, Christianity and Islam and it is almost a slam dunk), Tel Aviv is a roaring bore. </p>

<p>I visited Tel Aviv before going on to Jerusalem and was so disappointed in TA. I found little in the architecture or the history to warrant much attention. There are numerous historic sites pertaining to the founding of Israel, but while certainly interesting, there is nothing special photographically. There is a Bauhaus section that my architectural buddies oohed and aahed about, but to me is was nothing special. I agree that Jaffa which sits adjacent to TA and is an easy walk from the big TA seaside hotels is interesting in that you get to see the interaction between the Muslims and the Jews in an interesting ancient city (remember TA is a relatively recent city - it really did not exist as it is today prior to 1948),</p>

<p>I found the most interesting part of TA was the spectacular beach and promenade that runs the entire length of the city and actually continues into Jaffa.</p>

<p>Jerusalem is not a long drive from TA (in fact nothing within Israel proper is a long drive since the country is so small) and I agree that if you want to get the most bang for the buck, get up early, get a ride to Jerusalem and head straight for the old City. Words cannot describe how fascinating that city is. Just a reminder that the international airport is midway between the two major cities. If your free day corresponds to your first or last day, it would make it far more convenient.</p>

<p>By the way - i suggest that your wide to normal to short tele lenses will get the biggest workout. If I had to recommend one lens, it would be a zoom in the 24-105 range. I had a 70-300 with me and I don't recall using it at all. </p>