<p>hi, i'm new to photography and photoshop. i'm currently using adobe photoshop cc. i've been trying to come up with a logo for my website but i can't figure out how this was done for the life of me! does anyone know how this was achieved? (center box with text, background image still visible) or a link to a tutorial. any advise would be appreciated. thank you in advance! ps i hope i'm posting this in the right forum.</p>

<p><a href="http://i.imgur.com/D3hSdJx.jpg" alt="" width="432" height="321" />Link.</a></p>

<p>This is pretty much as simple as it gets in Photoshop--you place a text layer over the image and with the text tool (it's the icon identified with the capital T) and type what you want and it will appear on top of your image. (You can select the font, color, etc.) To make the box, an easy way is to use the rectangular marquee selection tool (a box made with dashed lines) and literally draw a box around your words (I would do this on a layer above my text), and then go to the Edit menu and select Stroke to draw a line around the box you made with your selection tool--you pick the thickness, color, etc.</p>

<p>Emily, Photoshop is a professional tool, that takes time to learn. And that learning will take time, and patience. Instead of asking how to perform specific tasks (like making a simple logo), invest in good books or a course to properly learn Photoshop if this is something you want to work with frequently. Sorry to be harsh, but what you ask is really basic stuff in Photoshop - and it's better to learn to cook than to learn one specific recipe.<br>

If you're not willing to invest in learning, Photoshop is simply the wrong tool and it's better to look at simplified editors such as the free <a href="http://www.serif.com/freedownloads/">DrawPlus or WebPlus from Serif</a>. They're a lot easier to master (but less powerful in the long run).</p>

<p>What you describe, by the way, I wouldn't do in Photoshop at all; it's about as easily done using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) in the code of the webpage. A simple div with a border, the text and a transparent background - not too difficult at all.</p>

<p>There are a tremendous number of tools provided by Adobe to help you learn to use Photoshop. There are tutorials, videos and Adobe TV. All free and all on the Adobe site. Start here - https://forums.adobe.com/welcome Click on the Photoshop icon. There's even a Photoshop for Beginners forum. If you like working from a book, check out the Adobe Team's 'Classroom in Book' series. There's one for most versions of Adobe software.</p>

<p>There are two ways to approach Photoshop as newcomer: the systematic way and the creative way. Which road you choose depends on your stamina and personal characteristics. I myself did not succeed in learning the trade through studying "Classroom in a book". It was too abstract for me and too remote from the real picture tasks I wanted to carry out.</p>

<p>After various frustrating attempts to read and learn other books in the same vein, I discovered THE WAY of starting the process that worked for me. The solution was a book written by Scott Kelby "7-point system for Adobe Photoshop CS3". This genial book starts out with 20 "so so" pictures. For each of them, Scott shows us the steps he took to make them great (or at least acceptable). I spent a month (half-time) on this book, taking each step together with him, and thereafter was able to have a go at my own raw files and develop them with good spirit. </p>

<p>The question posed by Emily is for instance answered by following the steps he took for picture (lesson) 18.</p>

<p>Even if the book deals with an outdated version of Photoshop, this did not prevent me from following and understanding the various steps. The big difference was actually rather small; in my newer version of Photoshop I had no longer to confirm by pushing "Enter" when manipulating layers. In addition, you would have to go back to the RAW conversion of 2010, but you have that as a choice in ACR.</p>

• 4 weeks later...