Minolta SRT 102 mlu

<p>Not all srt 102's have mlu , at least that's what I have figure. But, are all mlu controlled from the left side of the camera ( as you face the camera ) ? Or , are some mlu on the right side of the camera, as you face the camera ? I found a picture of a 102 that has no mlu on the left side , but has what looks like a mlu on the right side. thanks - tom</p>

<p>The earliest SRT 102's had the mirror lockup. It was dropped for the later models. Is mirror lockup needed? Usually not, but for high magnification macro or long telephoto lenses mirror lockup reduces chance of blur during the long shutter speeds (1 sec. to 1/60 second). Of course, if more than one second is needed, you can use the "hat trick" (not the one in soccer) that astrophotographers use. Cover the lens with a piece of cardboard and open shutter set to B. Allow a few second for vibrations to settle and move cardboard. Replace cardboard and close shutter when time is up.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses . I hope this thank you response goes through . For some reason , my first "thanks" did not - probably operator error . Yes , MLU is usually not needed but once in awhile I feel more at ease using it . That might be something I should test - take a shot without MLU and then take the same shot with MLU . Has anyone done this ? thanks again - tom</p>

I have (not using the SRT 102 though), and there is no clear result. It depends on how wobbly and resonant the set up is (which depends on a number of things, including in large part on magnification). And on how you trigger the camera.<br>But i'm with you on this, Tom: if available, and if there is opportunity to make use of it, there is no reason not to use mirror prerelease or mirror lock up. Even if it doesn't help, except make us feel more at ease, it does no harm.

<p>I'll have to admit I haven't done formal tests of MLU vs. no MLU. Q.G. makes a valid point about how the camera is triggered. My best results with long lenses (in cameras w/o MLU) came from using a cable release or the self-timer to trip the shutter. Some cameras will lock up the mirror when the self timer is activated, but I do not think any of the SRT series do. My Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 and Ricoh KR-5 Super II (likely the same body) both raise the mirror when the self timer is activated. Not sure which Nikons do this as the only Nikon I have is an FE-2. I think the Konica TC may raise the mirror at start of self timer cycle. <br>

And magnification is an important factor of course. Damping of vibrations is another possibility. My old preset 400 mm f6.3 is tricky to use at slower shutter speeds. I've improved my percentage of keepers with that lens by gently putting my hand over the top of the front end of the lens. YMMV, of course. </p>

• 3 weeks later...