Agfa Optima-Parat - 100% Agfa

<p>Realized that my <del>collection</del> equipment did not include any half-frame camera. Found an Agfa Optima-Parat for a very reasonable price ("don't know if camera works, sold as-is"); minimum offer; sole bidder. Cosmetics OK apart from small metal plate on shutter release. <br /> That is the model with auto programmed aperture and speed, all that from a Se photocell cell (no battery), and a 2.8/30 Solinar. Shutter clicks; aperture seems to react to light level; looks good. Appearance reminiscent of a 50's electric bread toaster. <br /> Still not 100% sure it actually works, I'll do a short test of 1/2 dozen exposures. With what? With APX-100 developed in Rodinal (1+50, 15'@20°C); what else for an Agfa camera?<br>

[<strong>edit</strong>] <em>Figure caption erroneously mentions Paramat instead of Optima-Parat; can't seem to be able change it.</em> </p><div>00cgmm-549569784.JPG.2e9e4291f3f966ebd28dc5f3f935d3c8.JPG</div>

<p>But before proceedings with the results of the test film; I remembered that about 3 months ago, there was a remark that CMC posts lacked in quantitative content. So I made a scientific evaluation of the substantiality(??) of the Paramat. From which I conclude that the Paramat is more substantial than at least five (5) disposable cameras. </p><div>00cgmo-549569984.jpg.c2ad5c2ccbff693c2a5ff860ea0b43c7.jpg</div>

<p>Third and last. Looks like a barn, actually a dorm for a summer camp.<br /> Pictures are OK, but I'm not enthused. Maybe would be nice for keeping a record during a trip (72 exp!), but a d*****l camera does that better. Possibly I'll repeat a test with FP4/D76. Or Silvermax. </p><div>00cgmv-549570284.jpg.45020ba568f1d6f062f5f3ae01c767cd.jpg</div>

<p>I've just shot a test roll in a half frame camera myself. I'll have results (one way or another) in a week. I have to wonder how long it took for the average owner to get to frame 72. Might have two Christmases on one roll!</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>@ all who commented so far: than you for looking and commenting<br>

Possibly my lack of enthusiasm for the results was unfair. First, that the programmed auto exposure would work after 40+ years says a lot about the design and construction of that camera. Second APX100+Rodinal was fun but not technically the best choice<br>

@ Kent: "<em>I have to wonder how long it took for the average owner to get to frame 72</em>" probably more than it takes their grand-children to fill a 4GB memory card. "<em>I've just shot a test roll in a half frame camera myself. I'll have results (one way or another) in a week</em>" So now you are committed; there is no going back; the crowd is waiting;-)<br>

@ Subbarayan: personally I prefer outdoors scenes with a little more "snap". I can't put my finger on the technical reason; it's not a just a matter of contrast, since my scanning software rescales to 0-255 after clipping black/white as instructed (2%/0.5%). <br>

@ John: "<em>the thought of making and scanning 72 exposures is a little daunting</em>" Apart from the issue of definition (that is especially important in half-frame) I think I could do it unattended using V700+Vuescan. Anyway, that is unlikely to become my everyday camera. <br>

@ Rick: "<em>the rather distinctive glitzy style</em>" Soon I hope I'll post about an even more glitzy half-frame (eh eh). "<em>Does this version have the very good Solinar lens?</em>" Apparently all versions (Optima-Parat, Paramat) have the Solinar, and differ only in the exposure automation. "<em>The quality of the images you posted suggests that this may be the case</em>" A little hard to tell within the limit of 700 pixels for inline pics. To make a fair appraisal of the lens I should use a different film, and also sharpen the scan by just the amount required to restore what can be restored of the scanners's MTF (maybe someday I'll post about that). </p>

<p>Very typical Agfa style from that era, they always look great, even if some of their cameras were a bit ordinary. Trick was to get one with the better lens/shutter combo. The other thing is that I didn't know that Agfa made a half frame....so my education is (almost) complete.<br>

Your results look good so it's worth persisting with this little Agfa...but with 12 exposure films!</p>