New Pentax K-S1

wayne_campbell

<p>It's an $800 (with kit lens) camera, compared to the $1,200 K-3. It's also slightly less megapixels than the K-3. So I wouldn't expect any weather seals at that price. I expect it's the replacement for the K-50 and K-500.<br>

The naming is interesting. Does the S in K-S1 mean "Small" sensor, and will Photokina reveal a K-F1 (Full) or K-L1 (Large)? At least the marketing folks have realized that the "K" is a mandatory part of the name of any Pentax DLSR with K-mount!<br>

I'd say they're trying to strike a middle ground on "styling", not as extreme as the K01, but more character than the K-30 and kin.</p>

<p>I would hope they don't discontinue K50, I'd think there's room for both models. I'm thinking this is sort of a K-01 successor, possibly will co-exist with a K50 replacement that won't appear until next year?</p>

<p>The K50 offers sealing and dual e-dials. Also has a AA battery option for those who like this. The K500 has pretty much the same less the sealing and IIRC the viewfinder AF point illumination?</p>

<p>The K-S1 appears well-equipped and while the LEDs on the grip seem likely to be a continuing source of internet ridicule it keeps the 100% pentaprism, very good for an entry level body. The numerous color options are mostly pretty attractive, unlike many of the options on previous custom-color Pentax cameras where 2/3 of them would be intolerable to most people. </p>

<p>K-S1 looks pretty small, smaller than the K-50. Not sure yet whether it matches the tiny Canon Rebel XS1 but I can imagine that this may have been a design goal, to minimize the size (in the Pentax tradition). An unsurprising result is relatively short battery life, and (unique for a Pentax DSLR) the SD card is in the same compartment as the battery.</p>

<p>The minimal size (for a K-mount body) and the emphasis on style (at some ergonomic cost) makes this feel a bit like a K-01 successor. The rear (illuminated) mode dial seems like a decent enough idea, doesn't protrude & won't get moved accidentally. The green & exposure comp buttons look like their positions were influenced by style (line-em-up) possibly harder to reach than they had to be -- a la K-01 but these don't look as bad as that, plus they may actually be OK in the hand. Anyway, if you stick with two hands and lighter lenses the less ergonomic grip (and lack of battery grip option) might not be too big a liability.</p>

<p>According to some German newspaper the K-S1 lights one LED per detected face.<br>

Is it the current upgraded low light indoors body to get for a K20D user? Or which would you guys recommend? I'm shy to wager an entire K3 to figure out the limitations of "weather protection" but I'd appreciate better AF & high ISO performance.</p>

<p>I think the LEDs also count down during self-timer. A little gimmicky but maybe not 100% useless.</p>

<p>We don't know quite what output a K-S1 will yield because it's the first Pentax with the 20mp sensor. I think it's reasonable to guess it will be in the same ballpark as the good 16 and 24mp sensors though. </p>

<p>As for cheaper than a K3, I think a K-5II or K-5IIs makes a fine upgrade to a K20D. As would a K50, though I'm not sure its AF is quite as good as the K-5II. </p>

<p>You don't lose too much from a K20D with a K50 or K-S1...will probably have 12- rather than 14-bit RAW, and you'll lose a few dedicated controls. </p>

<p>Ergonomically the one that's probably most noticeable is that the ISO button for the K10D/K20D/K-7/K-5/K-5II/K-3 is better designed for control with the camera at eye level; you can control manual ISO with e-dial and revert to auto with the green button. The K50 and K500 (and most likely probably the K-S1 as well, not sure about the K30) have ISO control more like the K-01 and Q, where the ISO button on the 4-way directional buttons is designed for adjusting on the rear LCD, where once in ISO mode you switch between auto and manual ISO using up & down d-pad buttons. You <strong><em>can</em></strong> change manual ISO at eye level but it's harder because the auto vs. manual ISO switch isn't done with green button, it's done with up/down instead.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The focus on gimmicky entry level cameras with colours has been a Pentax approach for some time, it's still an ice-cream cone - just a new flavour. Yes the K-S1 a solid entry level offering but I feel Ricoh should position the entry level Pentax with the strength of the Pentax lens line in mind…offer a K-S1 kit with a kit lens AND a DA 40 f/2.8 XS…position it as an all-around starter fit with a stunning prime…for compactness…for superior IQ…for portraits…for walk-around general photography. If the 2-lens kit was only $100 more it might work out very well for Ricoh.</p>