I need some serious help here. I am not new to Lightroom, but for some reason, when I changed computers and

upgraded to LR 5.4 my catalog got messed up big time. The new iMac had a combined SSD and HD so the storage

folders are a little different. Apparently the hard-drive moves files back and forth between the SSD and HD depending

upon how often you open them. The files you open often get allocated to the SSD for speed. So with the upgrade, many

of my files are now missing. Also, when add images from a memory card to a temporary folder on my desktop, then

import those images to LR, I am noticing LR leaves the master files on my desktop. In the past, LR would move those

files to the master collection for storage so I can delete the temporary files from my desktop. Now if I delete the

temporary desktop folder the files are gone from the LR catalog. I like to use a temp "holding" folder on the desktop to

import the images. I am attaching some screenshots. Maybe someone here knows what the problem is. I need to get the

catalog cleaned up and organized. Thanks!

<blockquote>

<p>Apparently the hard-drive moves files back and forth between the SSD and HD depending upon how often you open them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't see how that is possible. It is possible you did this (and outside LR?). <br>

You need to move, delete, rename, basically anything you can do in the Finder within LR itself. If you don't, the database doesn't know what you did "behind it's back". If you move a folder from one location to another, on one drive or another, LR doesn’t know you did this so it pops the ? asking you to find this data from within LR so it knows where you put these items. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Andrew, the new iMacs have this "smart HD" that automatically moves files between the SSD and HD

depending upon how often you open them. What I don't understand is, why isn't LR moving the files from

my temporary folder on my desktop to the LR catalog. I assume I can go into LR and move the folders

myself.

<blockquote>

<p>Andrew, the new iMacs have this "smart HD" that automatically moves files between the SSD and HD depending upon how often you open them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ah OK, didn't know that. That would cause issues with LR! As I said, you need to move stuff from within side it otherwise it understandably gets confused. <br>

What I advise and do myself is dedicate one big external driver for all my images, LR catalog and it's settings. Nothing more. Then I can move that drive to any machine with a working copy of LR and everything is in place. Further, cloning that to other drives for backups is a snap. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>What I don't understand is, why isn't LR moving the files from my temporary folder on my desktop to the LR catalog.<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Again, I don't see how that could happen unless it is that smart HD feature you're referring to. LR doesn't move anything by itself. And it doesn't move anything 'into' it's catalog. The catalog is just a reference to where images reside. That is why you need to move them from within LR or you'll have to update the location from within which is more work. Look at the Update Folder Location option (contextual menu from a folder). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>If as you say Jeff, the files are moved but in a spot LR knows about, all should be fine. If the files are moved and LR doesn't know about this, I'd expect to see the dreaded ? warning. </p>

<p>if you're talking about the Fusion Drive, then LR should *NOT* have a problem. The movement of the files from SSD to HD is totally transparent from an application layer perspective. The files appear in the same place in the filesystem hierarchy (logically speaking) even if some reside on SSD or HD physically.</p>

The only solution I could find was to restore the files from the Time Machine backup, which is happening

right now. I am restoring to this mornings back-up before I accidentally moved everything around. My only

concern now is, will the LR adjustments, metadata, etc all be preserved? The restoration will be complete

in about 2 hours. I hope all my edits are still there