Safe to put Lens in Suitcase for special event?

betty_hanson

<p>I am travelling to Amsterdam in July this year on to Helsinki and then Russia for a week. I have a Cannon 7d and usually with a 24-105 walk around lens. Possibly taking with me a 10-24mm wide angle. As I get older I find the weight in my back pack becomes a chore This trip I will not have a husband to take turns with the backpack!<br />Now my delimea is I am attending the world dog show in Helsinki in the middle of my tour. This will be in a building which I suspect with lower light and seating will be some distance from the dogs being exhibited. My objective is to take photos of my specific breed that I can use later to review the dogs .photos when they are standing still and on the move is my aim. I am only lookiing at taking photos at the dog show for my reference only but love taking quality travel photos. I would like to take my Cannon 70-200 2.8 lens but it is heavy and not IS so often a tripod is required at lower light. As some have already commented in posts using this type of lens draws attention to you and your camera. Is it safe to put this larger specs lens in my suitcase and use on the days we are at the show (5 days in total) Or do I just travel with the cannon 18-200 4.6 travel lens and crank the ISO up.</p>

<p>As Hector indicated, the best thing is to avoid putting camera or lens in check-in baggage. Last Sept I had one of those million+ lumen lights packed in my check-in baggage and they managed to break the lens on it. Fortunately, the loss is fairly minor, but it's a reminder that the baggage is not always handled with any sort of tenderness.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>I'm of two minds about the show. Different organizers and venues have different thoughts about what casual spectators may bring into stadiums and the like. So I would suggest getting some kind of advanced clarification on whether it will be allowed inside. As it will likely attract some attention (and sometimes from a pro photographer concerned about poaching). However, tourism wise, some will notice it but people carry and shoot travel pictures with all kinds of gear these days and I doubt it's all that big a deal in that sense. However, I have some serious doubts about the wisdom of packing it in a suitcase as checked baggage. I'd think dealing with it as carry-on then placing it in other luggage, wheeled suitcase, etc., when you are in control of the luggage and it's less likely to be rifled through or handled roughly.</p>

<p>I do not put any lenses or cameras in a suit-case for hold baggage. If my camera backpacked will exceed carry-on weight limitations, then photo gear is packed in professional gear containers - that would be silly and uneconomical just for one 70 to 200 lens so if you choose to take it I suggest that you take it as carry-on.</p>

<p>Thinking laterally apropos shooting at the dog show - how far way from the action do you expect to be and can you book allocated seats in advanced? Using the 24 to 105 at 105mm and cropping might be an elegant solution. I travel (for holidays) with a 5D and a 24 to 105 and I have cropped quite severely, with good results, the 7D can allow quite a lot of cropping if you get a good exposure; F/4 is only one stop slower than F/2.8 and you have the advantage of Image Stabilization and I expect the 24 to 105 will provide better optical quality than the 18 to 200 and is also one stop faster than the 18 to 200 (F/5.6 - I think you made a typo).</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Never put a camera or a valued lens in checked luggage. I could spend an evening telling you horror stories from friends of mine that have tried. Carry it on even if it is a stiff fee or, as suggested, rent one when you get there. Goo luck and have a safe trip,</p>

<p>-Cheers</p>

<p>You can put lens/cameras in checked luggage but you would have to use a Pelican case or similar. I have done this on many occasions and the kit has been fine with no damage at all. However, beware of imitation cases which claim to be safe but just look the part. In particular, aluminium cases of many brands which look sturdy but are not so good.</p>

<p>Depending upon which case you buy it could cost up to £300 or so but they are definitely worth the money. You would also have to buy a couple of secure padlocks for the actual case or put it into an empty case to disguise it which is what I tend to do. Of course, a thief can just steal the whole case and open it at their leisure.</p>

<p>European baggage handlers have never managed to damage my Pelican case or its contents. They are used by Military and police forces for delicate instruments/equipment/firearms. They also claim to be able to withstand an aircraft crash but do not guarantee to owner just the case!</p>

<p>PS. I have no connection with Pelican am only an end user.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree that a Pelican Case is an excellent way to transport sensitive gear safely, but only in terms of the protection from physical abuse that it provides.</p>

<p>The problem is that when shipping in a Pelican Case, you might just as well put a big red "STEAL ME" sign on the side of the case. Baggage theives know quite well that Pelican cases are used to ship valuable gear. They may be thieves, but they are not stupid.</p>

<p>When I travel and need to get my gear somewhere, I ship it in a Pelican via Fed Ex or UPS. Yes it costs more, but is quite a bit less expensive than not having the gear at a shoot.</p>