Do you use 3rd party inks with Epson 3880?

<p><em>"Not sure why you keep feeling inclined to respond to this thread"</em><br>

<em><br /></em>I told you I kept clicking the wrong buttons :-)<br>

<br>

It seems though that my persistence has at least alerted you to potential pitfalls with cutting roll paper to use with the 3880, you seem to have abandoned that idea following my post.<br>

<br>

No, no don't thank me - you're welcome.<br>

<br>

And the real reason I keep responding - I'm the one trying the hardest to save you from yourself. And it's neither ... nor by the way.<br>

(And don't start sentences with and, yes I know). Over and out.</p>

<p>I used MIS inks extensively (MISPRO and then their Ultrachrome equivalent.) I would not recommend them. I had some clogging issues with the R1800 but the reason I wouldn't recommend them has to do with longevity. I did my own tests with southfacing window glass, a reference print kept in dark storage and both Epson and MIS ink. The MIS faded quite quickly (less than 1 year). The paper itself (Harmon FB AL and Epson Luster) performed fine with minimal changes (Harmon warmed up a bit). Paper and inks in dark storage didn't appreciably change.<br /><br />For real tests, check out Aardenburg Imaging. I believe my results were generally consistent with theirs.<br /><br />I also used dedicated printers with MIS B&W ink. I think the prints looked great but beware that except for the all-carbon formulations they are using MIS's somewhat inferior pigments to cool the ink tone. You're probably better off with Epson's multi-greys instead.<br /><br />Personally, as a workaround I got refillable carts for my printer, bought high capacity (220ML) Ultrachrome carts and used that cheaper ink to refill my cartridges. Just make sure the bigger printer is using the same inkset as what your printer expects. I think that yields the best of both worlds.</p>

<p>Another consideration on using third-party inks is resale of the printer. I've seen ones like that sit around on the auction sites forever, since folks don't want to take a chance on them. I had a fellow nearly offer a 7600 like that, if I'd offer ANYTHING. But it wasn't even worth having to flush and start with a whole new load of ink, if he gave it to me for FREE.</p>

<p>Buying a used printer is a bad idea no matter what considering their short life span and clogging problems whatever ink you use. Also The 3880 is only $928.99 and comes with $452.79 worth of ink and free shipping. My 4800 will be free for anyone dumb enough to pick it up. </p>

<p>In my opinion, buying a professional (Epson) inkjet printer can be a great deal. I'm not talking the little 11" or 13" things. I wouldn't touch anything without K3 inks, either. If you have room for a 24" printer, GO for it. I got my 7800 for $800, and it came with $500 worth of ink! A large printer isn't something you'll be expected to pick up in a parking lot. You can go to the seller's location and TRY it. Print a nozzle check. Run a test print. Even if you never print 24" or 44" wide, the cost savings in using 220+ ml cartridges adds up quickly. I ran the numbers when a friend of mine got his 3800, and the cross-over point in his case was going to be just about two years with buying a NEW 4xxx vs. the 3xxx that he was considering. With a good used roll printer, that cross-over comes in a month or two. </p>

<p>If you need help deciding whether to use 3rd-party inks, then considering everything that's involved, buying someone else's printer is probably a bad idea for you. And if $1000 is no big deal, then get TWO new printers. That way you have a backup. </p>

<p>I have always advocated for at least the 24 inch size. Cartridges are larger and ink is cheaper, its converted to refillable just by getting an empty cartridge. The parts are made of metal vs plastic and the reliability and accuracy is enhanced.</p>

<p>You don't have to buy the rolling stand, the thing fits on a table if you want to go that way. The fabric at the bottom is just a bunch of foolishness... useless, IMO. That can make it fit into a smaller space if that is a concern.</p>

<p> Not sure I would buy used. Epson engineers these things to break. Yes, deliberately. All you have to do is look inside. A new one comes with a warranty and a life of about 3 years with few hassles, usually. Forget about the free paper, get some better paper, and fill it with the ink you want to put in it...</p>

• 3 months later...
<p>A number of years back, when Epson did not claim archival permanence with their inks, I used some Lyson inks and had bad clogging troubles, also metamerisation (bronzing). I think my printer was an Epson 1290 (I now have a 3880). That was enough to put me off - moreover, I sold the printer working fine and with a set of Epson cartridges in it to an acquaintance who used 3rd-party inks and was very disappointed. I think even if you get a presentable looking result with 3rd-party inks, you will not get optimum drying characteristics, i.e prints may well take a long time to become smudge-resistant. In short - I strongly recommend ONLY OEM inks.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>so.. theoretically 3rd party inks have 3 possible shortfalls.. shorter print-life(fading). inacurate colors, clogging nozzles.</p>

<p>for pigment inks the shorter print life is actually not there or negligable as long as the 3rd party ink is made from pigments.<br>

almost all 3rd party inks I've bought have accurate colors and work almost identical to the oem inks.. I wouldn't expect to see a difference from any reputable ink vendor.</p>

<p>as far as clogging nozzles more often or shortening the printers life... I see it like this.. I have a 9890 that I use with genuine inks due to the cost of the nozzle, and a canon pixma pro 100(a dye printer). the pro100 I use with 3rd party inks because the head-replacement only costs 20 bucks... for the risk of damaging a $20 head I've printed thousands of dollars worth of ink cartridges for $70 using a bulk ink system and buying ink by the gallon. At this point even if I do have to replace that print-head my savings on ink would far outweigh the cost and inconvenience of home repair.</p>

<p>For my 9890/9900 the print-head is more expensive but the entire printer can be had used from ebay in working condition for under a grand, so if a bulk ink system can save me more on ink that the cost of buying a printer I'm happy. 3rd party ink will dry faster when the printer is in non-use and expire quicker, so 3rd party ink is only cost effective for bulk printing.</p><div>00eB1Z-565817784.thumb.jpg.fc51d53b30fed68cd996c8ebae44dcf1.jpg</div>

• 8 months later...

What about this article: Aftermarket Inkjet Print Cartridges - Computer Peripherals

He seems to think that some non-OEM inks are even better for the Epson 3880. It is also true that they sell the printers so cheap that they make their money off the overpriced inks. It is a known business model in that industry… so it makes sense that they try and scare everyone into think non-OEM will ruin your printer. I have been buying out-of-date Epson inks where possible and so far so good. Even as old as 2008. But that cannot be safer than just getting higher quality non-OEM inks can it?

<p>ok guys, I thought I was pretty clear in my original question, but I'll repeat: PLEASE ONLY RESPOND IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE PRINTING WITH THIRD PARTY INKS. </p>

Yes indeed! Ignore all responses that do not meet your criteria. Look until you find one that urges you to do as you'd like, in spite of the years of experience from the majority telling you not to. Brilliant!

Epson spent 2 billion dollars building their ink plant, but you've outsmarted them, you clever devil! Or maybe not......

I make my own inks out of cheap food coloring bought at the discount grocery. Clogged heads? Not a problem. Simply soak the head for a couple days in Drano.

And everyone thought there would be no better solutions found in the 3 years since this thread was laid to rest... :cool:

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

The print head is not user-replaceable on the 3880. You need to shift it to Epson for repair, and if you have been using 3rd party inks, you wil pay full price, even if your printer is/was under warranty.

One reason I bought a Canon printer was the replaceable head. My experience with pro level printers is that the heads need replacing every 5 set of ink cartridges or so. Perhaps Epson printers, with piezoelectric print heads, last longer, but sooner or later failure is inevitable. With cheap ink, "sooner" is the rule.

If $2 for a 12x18" print is too expensive, you aren't charging enough for your work.

The leading edge of roll paper feeds okay, but if you cut to sheet size, the trailing edge will not be properly controlled. I've heard of straightening tools, but results are mixed, mostly poor. Good luck with that.

As long as this thread has been exhumed, the casket opened, and we are holding another service for the dearly departed--a couple of real comments for those who are still printing with the 3800/3880.

Third party inks have come a long way in the 3 years since this topic birthed itself. It therefore stands to mention that Precision Colors offers an inkset for both of the aforementioned Epsons--with ICC profile modeling to accurately emulate standard Epson ink RIP protocols. See here:

Precision Colors C5B

Discussions of these inks have been extensively held on other fora--and generally receive positive comment as to accuracy, gamut, performance, and any collateral "maintenance" issues. I cannot personally attest to the particular Epson formulations, but I know an architect who is using them with a 9880 (ink compatible downward to 7880/4880) she will never go back to OEM.

I have been using their formulations (the older PC72 and updated PC [2]) on a Canon Pro-10 for the past several years and HUNDREDS of 13x19" prints with absolutely no printhead issues. Another photographer I know uses them in a Canon Pro-1 with identical results. So much for the having to replace the heads every 5 cartridges proviso... :)

Plus, these inks have ICC profiles for a wide selection of printing papers that are fairly accurate right out of the box.

Edited by PapaTango

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!