Cameras in Movies n+5: This Island Earth 1955

JDMvW

<p><strong>Cameras in Movies n+5: <em>This Island Earth</em> 1955</strong></p>

<p>Did I mention that I like old 1950s Sci-Fi movies? Apparently I do.<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p><em>This Island Earth</em> 1955 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047577/ <br>

First cameras shown in the film, right at the beginning — press cameras, probably mostly Graphics, at the interview with Dr. Cal Meecham (Rex Reason):<br /><br /></p>

<div>00clJk-550413784.jpg.d7346fef547a6c21d646e59257839c63.jpg</div>

<p>After assembling an all-purpose machine (not a desktop, exactly), Exeter appears on the screen. Meecham’s assistant, Joe Wilson (Robert Nichols ), tries to photograph the "interociter".</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />Exeter(Jeff Morrow): “I beg your pardon, Mr. Wilson.<br />Your camera will pick up nothing but black fog. Images on the interocitor don't register on film. “</p>

</blockquote>

<p>[a lot of us doing our own processing at this same time had the same ‘black fog’ problem]<br /><br /><br />Here it is coming out of Joe’s desk so you can see the top of the camera:<br /><br /></p><div>00clJm-550413884.jpg.0ce5c46e2dce1622676233abda2c48ee.jpg</div>

<p>I looked through the 1953 Directory published in May, 1953, in <em>Popular Photography</em>.<br />Two sort-of possibilities are the Diax 1 or the Regula 1, but neither have what seems to be an (later) Argus(?)-like emblem on the lower front right of the camera in the pictures.<br /><br /></p><div>00clJq-550414184.jpg.479c1cf062d935193fcf496fc7e0c66f.jpg</div>

<p>None of these seem quite right, however. <br />Any suggestions? <br /><br />So’s you can try for yourself for better candidates, here the 1953 ‘directory’ (cameras only) in 2.3 MB pdf file. I felt some of you might want it anyhow.<br /><br /></p>

<p>As for the spandex suits, Faith Domergue, playing Dr. Ruth Adams, said some of her costumes were so tight that she had to have help getting them on and couldn't wear any underclothes.... (<a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047577/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2">http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047577/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2</a> )</p>

<p>Scary? You decide.</p>

<table width="137">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

Too early for a Bolsey B2, I suppose? I love that movie and have it on DVD. I've always wondered about what camera Joe was using.

JDM- have you noticed the zoom lens used by Paul Mantee in "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"? Looks like an early Spiratone Sun with pistol grip (maybe the 85-210 f4.8 that they used to sell)?

<p>I think the TIE camera lacks the trapezoidal body shape of the Bolseys, though that was one of the first I thought of too.</p>

<p>Likely the <em>Robinson Crusoe on Mars</em> gadget is the early model of the Sun (Spiratone) 85-210 (scroll down at <a href="/classic-cameras-forum/00bfuT">link</a>).</p>

<p>I dug out my Bolsey B2 and another unforeseen consequence -- when I got it a couple of years ago the shutter was frozen and didn't work. I had tried minute amounts of naphtha (what else?) but it had not worked. When I pulled it out just now, "dadgum" if the shutter doesn't seem to work fine! Another reanimation by Dr. JDM von Frankenstein! (It's alive!)</p>

<p>I pulled a roll of Ektar out of the refrigerator, and - mind you - I will now have to give it a try. This, of course, is in the nature of a threat.</p><div>00clMF-550418784.jpg.6d52f0efc73dc1dab0cd7863cf4dce0c.jpg</div>