D4 Playback Button Won't Play Back Image

ray_l

<p>I have been experiencing an intermittent issue with the playback button on my D4. From time-to-time after viewing an image on the LCD after the viewing function times out and the LCD goes black when I press the playback button to view that image again I get no response. I press the button several times to no avail. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?<br>

Thanks in advance!<br>

Ray</p>

<p>Just a silly question, because I've been bitten by this on my D800... how are you holding the camera? If your left hand is accidentally touching the AF control button (which wasn't a problem on the D3/D700 generation) then it looks like the playback button isn't working. Just a thought before incurring repair costs...</p>

<p>Hi There<br>

Just a similar thought to Andrews, I have found with by d7100 and d7000 with additional grips that if I have the vertical shutter release switched it is very easy to slightly squeze that with the palm of your right hand when you hold the camera in normal orientation and try to review an image. Very annoying until I realised what was happening.<br>

The camera thinks you are trying to half press the shutter release and so turns the metering on and inhibits playback.<br>

I know the D4 is a different camera but just thought this may help. Next time the problem happens try moving your right hand away from the vertical release and see if it all starts working.</p>

<p>Ray, I have owned several Nikon pro and prosumer bodies over the years and have experienced the same issue with most of them from time to time. I just turn the camera off then back on and it then works. I have also sometimes just waited several seconds and it would work again as well. Not sure what is happening but assume the processor is busy doing something else. I'm not sure I would send my camera in for this. You might want to first give Nikon a call and see if they can give you an explanation.</p>

<p>Thanks to each of you for your replies, in response I have decided on the following courses of action:</p>

<p>Shun - I am going to wait to send in the camera for possible repair until I have taken the following actions. <br>

<br>

Andrew & Simon - I will note how I am holding the body when pressing the playback button to determine if my hand is accidentally pressing another button. <br>

<br>

Kari - The images I am looking at are the ones that I had just taken. In many instances I was looking at that image and after the view timed out I pressed the playback button and it did not bring the image back up to view.<br>

<br>

Barry - I will wait a little longer and try it again to see if that helps in those instances. I will also call Nikon to see if they have any suggestions.<br>

<br>

Thanks again to each of you for taking the time to help me out!<br>

<br>

Best Regards, Ray<br>

</p>