the mac doesn't recognize the D610

sirio_gori

<p >Hi guys. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I have a nikon D610, for the type of shots that I do…. I use a lot of tethering usb, shooting with camera control pro on a mac book pro</p>

<p >The only problem is that the mac does not recognize the camera.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I brought the camera to a service center….they’ve tested with my own usb cable……and it works.</p>

<p >I state that the USB ports work for me: i attack several hard drives, mouse, USB keys, etc. etc. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I've never had this kind of problems with a D700 </p>

<p >What should I do? </p>

<p >The 610 should be set to PC connection mode? (or something that I missed) </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >thanks</p>

<p>All that being said, there is a 'known problem' in Mavericks with older USB (1 and 2) connections. If the software path doesn't work, search Google "mavericks problem with USB" or some such (sorrry, I don't have the url at this computer). The PRAM reset will cure the problem at least temporarily.</p>

<p>Actually not a 'cheap' card reader! Buy a good one that is compatible with UDMA cards and has a USB3 interface. A good one is the Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader.<br>

These readers will be way faster at transferring files to the computer than 'cheap' ones and also faster than direct camera-computer connections.</p>

<p>There are many good reasons to get a card reader; but, in some cases, the problem can be the USB connection, so a new USB card reader may have the same problems.<br>

I have been trying to find a USB 3 card reader, but so far ones that are advertised as USB 3 have turned out to be USB 2 instead, and are just as flaky as my older card readers.<br>

If your Mac is old enough to have a Firewire (IEEE 1394) connection, that works flawlessly.</p>

<p>Remco, he's using tethering to control the camera with his the computer, so a card reader would not help.</p>

<p>Sirio, try launching Image Capture software that comes with the Mac, it has tethering built in.</p>

<p>I find iPhoto to be very useful, it has many features people are not aware of, not just cataloging, but also very good image adjustment.</p>

<p>To download the photos I always use a card reader ...... the problem begins from the fact that various camera control pro (even the latest version) does not recognize the camera when I needed to photograph with the live view from the mac. <br />At that point I noticed that when I connected the camera to the mac (obviously with the SD inside) without opening camera control pro, I saw that nothing appeared in the finder, then I thought that the problem lies in the USB ports ........today I noticed that opening "image acquisition", he makes me see the images that are in the camera. <br />So the problem is not in the USB ports, but only in camera control pro, which is even more strange. <br>

another Nikonist encountered the same problem with lightroom 5.3><a href="https://forums.adobe.com/message/5847013">https://forums.adobe.com/message/5847013</a><br>

and it seems that with the latest version they've not solved the problem><a href="http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/04/1277.html">http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/04/1277.html</a></p>

<p>But is it possible that the guys of nikon haven't updated the algorithm that allows camera control to recognize the 610? frankly it seems too weird ..... and however I also tried with lightroom 5.3 and the problem is also there, as reported on the adobe forum.</p>

<p>Besides having the most recent version of camera control pro 2 I suggest that you verify you have the most recent firmware for the camera and any OS updates.<br>

If you have camera control 2 then the order that is in the manual is:<br>

1) Make sure camera control pro 2 is turned off and the camera turned off<br>

2) Connect the USB cord to camera and computer. The D610 control panel should show "PC". Note that they indicate the USB connection needs to be direct into the computer and not through a hub.<br>

3) Turn on the camera control pro 2<br>

4) This is when it should be recognized<br>

---------------<br>

I don't have the Nikon software yet the D610 is listed as supported by camera control pro 2. <br>

This very well may not be you issue yet thought that following the detailed instructions would be worth trying sooner rather than later. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>But is it possible that the guys of nikon haven't updated the algorithm that allows camera control to recognize the 610? frankly it seems too weird .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nikon says vor version 1.17 dd 04-03-2014<br>

D3, D3S, D3X, D4, D4S, D60, D90, D300, D300S, D600, D610, D700, D800, D800E, D5000, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100 en Df.<br>

as compatible camera's..</p>

<p>BUT this update also carries a remark about not showing the pictures and restarting all in a certain sequence to solve this: (sorry , Dutch Version, lookup the one in your language on the Nikon support site...) :<br>

--------------------------------------------------------------<br>

Gebruikers van de D3S, D4, D4S, D600, D610, D800, D800E, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100 of Df.<br /> Als een D3S, D4, D4S, D600, D610, D800, D800E, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100 of Df is aangesloten op een computer met Camera Control Pro 2, geven de volgende toepassingen geen beelden weer die zijn opgeslagen op een geheugenkaart in de camera: Nikon Transfer 2, Windows Verkenner, Fotolader en iPhoto. Als u beelden op de geheugenkaart wilt weergeven met deze toepassingen, moet u eerst Camera Control Pro 2 sluiten.<br />(Op een computer met Windows XP sluit u Camera Control Pro 2 af en zet u daarna de camera uit en weer aan of koppelt u de USB-kabel los en sluit u deze weer aan.)</p>

<ul>

<li>AF-F-opnamen met de D4, D600, D610, D800, D800E, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100 en Df.<br /> Als u de knop <strong>Opname</strong> gebruikt om foto's te maken in de livebeeldstand bij de instelling AF-F voor de scherpstelstand op de D4, D600, D610, D800, D800E, D5100, D5200, D5300, D7000, D7100 en Df, wordt informatie over het scherpstelpunt</li>

</ul>

<p> </p>

<p>In the same notes it also says that when a camera wich contains a card with a large number of pictures on it is connected, then it is possible that the camera is not recognized, or it may take a lot of time befare it is recognized...</p>

<p>So question, does your camera contain a card with many ( hundreds ) of pictures maybe ?<br>

If so , it might help to start with a mostly empty card in the camera..</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Sirio, I think have found the solution, cause I have had a similar issue. Anyway you probably do not have the latest upgrade of CCP, which the 2.17 at the moment. Nikon Update Center does not necessarily will find it, so google it until you find a proper site to download.<br>

Good Luck</p>