Local adaptation in Photoshop

<p>Is there a way to use the Local Adaptation tool in Photoshop outside of the HDR tool? There are times when I'm shooting people pictures when I have a single exposure that could benefit from local adaptation. I can make a copy of the original file and put both into the HDR tool, but it seems like there should be an easier way. </p>

<p>I prefer the result using local adaptation. The only way I know to accomplish this is with the HDR function in Photoshop. HDR requires more than one image so I copied the original image and put both of them into HDR. I would like to find a way to apply the local adaptation function directly on a single image. </p>

<p>I know you're 'married' to using the brush, but I think another method would be better and give you more control</p>

<p>1. Duplicate the layer<br>

2. Set the top layer to screen<br>

3. ALT + Layer Mask (will add a mask and make it black)<br>

4. Paint with a zero hardness brush, with white, what you want to now brighten.</p>

<p>This will give you more contract, because not only can you vary the opacity and flow of the brush, but also the opacity of the masked layer. Plus, its non destructive.</p>

<p>This effect is way too easy to accomplish. All one has to do in this instance is raise up the black on the curve a little. Your curve adjustment was simply overdone. At most I might create a layer using the whole image as a mask (luminosity layer). (Just command-click on the combined channel.) Then invert it and get rid of most of it except for the very dark areas at the bottom. You can use the lasso, a large brush, etc. Very easy. Make an adjustment layer, curve it a bit and you're done. It doesn't require another data layer to make your file twice the size...</p>

<p>Best answer is to find someone who knows how to do this and get some lessons.</p>