AF speed - 70D vs 60D ?

<p>Curious & need to help a friend on buying his 1st camera. He is not much into videos, though he might shoot them rarely and hence he probably won't need those AF in video or other advanced video features from the 70D. The guy is happy with the images he saw from a 7D that another friend of mine owns ( I believe 60D and 7D have very similar IQ ). His main doubt and significant factor for buying a DSLR is AF and he wants a decent camera above the rebel series. So is there a significant improvement in 70D's AF as compared to 60D ? My 70D focuses pretty fast and I think the 70D's AF might be a hair faster than 7D, if not equal ( when compared to my friends' 7D- probably dual pixel sesnsor or digic 5+ playing their role) , not sure if its just me and I got biased, because I love the 70D so much ! :D<br />Will the 60D's AF speed be enough with lenses like 55-250IS or 70-300IS ?</p>

<p>It totally depends on what and how, and with what lenses you are shooting. If you are using the same lens in one-shot AF, and focusing on something the same distance away from where the lens was originally focused, my XTi will focus as fast as your 70D, or his 7D (or the 60D). There may be a slight difference, but it is in terms of milliseconds, and not something your could even measure by hand. You very well may perceive it as faster than a 7D, especially if you own a 70D!</p>

<p>However, things change when you switch AF modes, and the camera has to 'think' about where to focus (though once it's reached a decision, the actual focusing is, again, same same). Luckily for you, the internet is full of reviews of these cameras, and they often like to go on at length about the most miniscule of differences between camera bodies. The bottom line though is that you should expect the 70D to perform (AF wise) much as the 7D does, whereas the 60D is much closer to the Rebel's AF performance -- though whether or not that will affect your friend's shooting is impossible to say since you haven't detailed what and how he shoots. <br>

How would <em>we</em> know if fast is fast <em>enough </em>for someone we have no information about?!</p>

I did mention he will probably be using a 55-250 or 70-300 IS versions and I know focusing will be better with the 70-300 since it has AF motor inbuilt. The question is however, if the same lens is used, will there be a significant difference as to the time taken for locking on a moving target, say a BIF or some kids playing football on the neighborhood. He won't be doing professional level photography, but with the equipment he's buying for his hobby, he doesn't want to be disappointed, nor does he need to get the best and priciest. I advised him to the 70D, but that meant he'll have to wait for his tele-zoom lens (And I'm now pushing him to buy a tamron 70-300 VC as its cheaper and also because the VC is so good - My Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 has an awesome VC) unless he's buying the 55-250, which from my previous experience, is noticeably slower in terms of AF in comparison to the 70-300 (be it canon or tamron). I don't want him to push him into the 70D if he won't miss much action from his 60D, which will let him get better glass !

<p>I own both a 60D and 70D and IQ and handling are almost identical. The 70D has a wee bit better noise control at high ISO and obviously focus is faster and more flexible if you take the time to learn how to use it. I mention "learn how to use it" because AF operation and tweaking of AI servo tracking and sensitivity have a steeper learning curve than the 60D but potentially result in much better AF performance. The reality is the complexity of the 3 AF modes and learning how to use and tweak them has befuddled many new 70D owners: they either expect AF to work like their Rebel/60D or expect the 19-point auto select mode to read their mind and lock on to faces like an iPhone.</p>

<p>Realize the 70D is missing the expanded point mode of the 7D and 5D3, the AF mode I found best for AI servo. I don't own the zooms in question but one shot-AF speed seems close between the 60D and 70D. 70D contrast focus in LV/video is the game changer and the one feature of the 70D that buries the 60D (& most other DSLRs). Heck, it even has face mode for P&S/iPhone converts. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Re the lens choices you mentioned, have him go with the tamron sp. Of the three you mentioned it is the

only one which is ultrasonic ring-drive, which means the af can be manually over-ridden at any time,

allowing you to fine tweak focus without damaging the lens. The two canon lenses you mentioned are both

ultrasonic micro-drive, which means they have a small shaft-and-gear driving the focus, which cannot be

over-ridden.......if you try to over-ride it and tweak it manually with the switch in a/f, you can snap that

shaft. This does become important when you are in a situation in which the a/f has a distracting element it

can lock on to ie if you are trying to focus on a bird which is sitting among an array of criss-crossing

branches you often have to manually take it "through the tangle" to the object you're after.

On the 7D if you are using the center point only for focus, it is fine enough and accurate enough it actually

can step-through such a tangle and find a really small bird in the bushes extremely well, but if the 60D is

like my 40D or T3i, neither of them does it very well.

just an additional note.....in terms of the image quality, the 60d has the 18 meg sensor, both my 7D and

T3i have the 18 meg sensor. And in terms of iq, the T3i produces images every bit as good as my 7D. The

only advantage the 7D gives me over the T3i is burst rate and focus speed and accuracy. The 7D is also

like carrying around two five gallon pails of concrete. You pack my 7D with a 300 on it and a tripod 150 feet

up the mountainside and you know you're doing it. I actually bought the T3i specifically because there are

days it's just a heck of a lot nicer to carry something you can carry without feeling like you're dragging a

truck behind you. Your friend may also want to take into consideration that while the numbers don't look

like a big difference, the 60D is not only lighter on his wallet, it's lighter to pack around if he's standing on

the sidelines of a kids soccer game all night.

<p>I've owned every camera in Canon's xxD line, and still own a 60D -- I agree with much that has been said to its credit. I think your friend would be very pleased with the image quality and performance of the 60D. If he is just a "serious hobbyist" and not getting paid, the 60D offers everything he needs. <br /><br />The fastest focusing will be found with lenses designed for high speed focusing, Canon's USM, Sigma's HSM, etc. </p>

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs. I'm really great full to your informative thoughts.

Now, I'm not sure he will be doing one shot AF much, he's into moving subjects. Don't know why. And as for the learning curve, I will say, it took me some time, but it was definitely worth that time and I can help him. I've found that zonal AF in the 70D coming very useful (there's a plenty 19 and is possible to chose a particular zone ) and its a very handy feature to have. Does the 60D has similar ways to adjust focus ? And is it possible that 70D can outperform 60D in AI Servo ?

<p>Auto-focus is a function of the lens not the camera. Generally, Canon L-series F2.8 lenses will have the absolute fastest and most accurate focusing. However, I absolutely love my Tamron 70-300 F4-5.6 VC lens. First I love that it $399 new with a 6 year warranty. You can actually get it at B&H for $349 after $100 mail in rebate. Honestly, I think this lens is equal to the Canon 70-300L. It focuses super fast and almost 100% silent. I was able to capture the eye of a flying seagull so clear I could see its pupil and iris clearly. I know this is not about lenses, but if he wants to caputer clear pictures of moving objects and not spend and arm and a leg for Canon 1X and F2.8 L-series lenses. Then you can do a pretty good job with a basic camera and a great lens. The Tamron 70-300 VC to me is a great lens.</p>

@M.P - This is the 2nd post from you praising how good the 70-300VC is. Are you using this lens with 5D II ? I appreciate your support for the lens. I'm hearing so good reviews about this lens, that I might sell my 70-200f/2.8 VC and get this lens and buy a Canon 400mm f/5.6L ( because Tamron doesn't seem to be giving out the 150-600Vc anytime soon - which was my solution to longer reach). But I don't want to lose a fast f/2.8, so I'm ready to wait for a couple of months.

Now to the question in hand, I do understand lenses play a huge role in focusing, but so do Cameras these days with their excellent AF system. Just don't want my friend to make a wrong choice because of me.