7D Video

Marvin

<p>When shooting videos with a 7D - do all the settings become automatic. Or, does setting Resolution, ISO, EC, etc determine the size & quality of the result. I'd like to take a video that would have a smaller size (less mega pixels) for emailing.</p>

<p>The simplest way to accomplish that would be to shoot at 640x480 at ISO100 (user selectable). Once recorded, there are more space efficient formats (than the camera records in) that you can change the file into (ones that will realize a greater improvement in file size from low ISO shooting).</p>

<p>Of course, whether or not the file is going to fit into your email's limitations depends upon it's length and your email as well.</p>

<p>Marcus,<br>

Thanks for the response. The reason that I asked is - I don't usually shoot video with 7D but an occasion occurred during a party in our clubhouse. I had the camera set for a stills at high ISO and a +2 EC when I switched to video. The videos were very bright. I was wondering if the still photo settings carried over to video or if video was essentially like "AUTO".</p>

<p>Video defaults to the highest quality (and file size) of 1920 x 1080 in the 7D, unless you dive into the menu and set 1280 x 720 or 640 x 480. According to the manual, only 640 x 480 gets you any space saved.</p>

<p>The still resolution used (like MRAW or small JPEG) had no effect on the video.</p>

<p>Your best bet, though, would be to bring the video clips into an app on your Mac or PC, and render them out in a more compact format.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>[[i'd like to take a video that would have a smaller size (less mega pixels) for emailing.]]</p>

<p>Don't email video files. Use a service that allows your contacts to download them or view them from their own devices. </p>