Compact Light Meter Suggestion

<p>Though I still have my full size Luna-Pro F, I carry a Luna-Pro digital F when I work with a meterless camera. I find the digital F is consistant with the full size version, it uses an easy to find battery and is very compact....as someone mentioned about the size of current smart phones. It is easy to use in either mode - incident or reflective. It provides the "F" stop reading in fractions (which was a mental adjustment from the pure analogue of the full size version). When it says 1.4 in larger numerals and the smaller 8 afterward...got to set the camera to F2.</p>

<p>Jim, The current Sixtomat F2 goes down to EV -2.5 according to Gossen. This is probably the same for all the versions of this meter (certainly for my Sixtomat Flash), and I'd assume it's an accurate limit, though I've never tested it against another meter that goes this low.</p>

<p>For general use above f2 and 1/30 I've had good results using a rebuilt Leica Meter3 on a IIIf BD/Summicron 50 kit. As the meter mounts in the accessory shoe and is small, it is handy and accurate enough for outdoor use. If you frequently shoot indoors or in low light, you'll need a really accurate meter as many have mentioned above. You'll recoup the cost of a good meter with a higher average of acceptable images.</p>

<p>EV -2.5 is pretty good. Most peter out at EV 2.</p>

<p>Christopher, when you say "For general use above f2 and 1/30 I've had good results...", what ISO are you assuming? My M6 will just barely meter at f2 and 1/30 at ISO 3200 when the scene is EV 3.</p>

<p>Jim, I used the Leica Meter 3 with ASA ratings from 64 to 800. I meant to say I never tried to use it when the exposure required shutter speeds below 1/30th at f2. The Leica Meter 3 is not sufficently accurate in low light.<br>

I think I shot one roll of 25 Kodachrome with the IIIf and Summicron. It's ancient history now, but I recall that roll of Kodachrome had very little exposure latitude. Leica Meter 3 readings with Kodachrome didn't work for me, that film required careful use of a really good meter and exposure bracketing for good results and I didn't have a really good meter back then.</p>