From Canon FD 135mm 2.8 to 100mm F2 .would you do it?

gabriel_gerena

<p>Hello!<br>

Looks like I am always very active here lol<br>

Anyways, I got the FD 135mm 2.8 which is extremely sharp. I got it in a trade for a Rokkor X 135mm 2.8.<br>

But now I am buying two more Canon Lenses and the guy also has the 100mm F2 in pristine condition and will sell it for $210. I am just not so sure if I should do it.<br />First I do have the 35-105mm so while not comparable in performance, the range is sort of cover. Then again I have the 50mm 1.4 which is covered too.<br />The reason for me to wonder about the 100mm F2 is that the stuff I read about it claim it to be superb. But then again the 135mm 2.8 is no slacker either. <br />I guess I would have to determine which range I will use more often for Portraits and the link but maybe I can get some comments here and even if the price is any good as the ones on sale on Ebay are overpriced from what I have seen.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>The 100 f/2 is an outstanding lens....I've had one for a number of years. At one point I also had the 135 f/2 which was one of my absolute favorites, but somebody made me an outrageously rich offer for it which I couldn't refuse. I think the decision you have to make is whether you would get more use out of the shorter focal length 100 f/2 or the 135 f/2.8. Neither is razor sharp wide open, but stopped down 1-2 stops both are quite good. The offer price on the 100 seems a little high, but if it is truly flawless (no haze, fungus, cleaning marks, separation, or dust) it is a pretty good deal. You could try it and if you find you aren't using it as much as you thought, you could always sell it and probably recoup your money, as they aren't that prevalent.</p>

<p>As others have commented, the 100 f/2 is extraordinary. It eclipses the 135 f/2.8. If 100mm is a focal length that works for you, then you won't find a better lens to cover it. That lens doesn't go for less than $400 and in mint condition, will fetch $500+. Even if you didn't want to keep it, if you can buy a mint copy for $210 then you could flip it and make a couple hundred dollars. Seems an easy decision.</p>

The 100/2 is a very impressive performer and quite compact. About the only thing I could mark it down for is the lack of a

built-in sliding lens hood but that's almost unfair. If the focal length works for you there's no good reason to pass it up!

<p>Wow, I just noticed one sold on ebay for $400 plus shipping just 3 days ago. Indeed I bought it for sure at that price and based on the pics and description.<br />But based on your comments, I am sure I will fall in love with it and end up keeping it! :)<br /><br />I got a 200mm F2.8 IF as well in excellent condition for $90 and a 350105mm for 60 so total I paid $360 for all 3. <br />Cant wait to get them tomorrow! <br>

Then is testing time. </p>

<p>BTW, do you guys know if I can get a third part hood that can be stored in reverse so I can keep it with the lens? Like one from Ebay called:<br /><br /></p>

<ul id="vi_main_img_fs_fsThumbStrip" >

<li>FOTGA 52mm Screw Mount Standard Metal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Pentax Sony Hot</li>

</ul>

<p><br />I cannot add the ebay link sorry.<br>

<br /><br />If not I will just get another Rubber one. <br />Thanks!</p>

<p>I was really lucky a few month ago, found a mint copy, with original hood and box, for under $400, I snatched it immediately.</p>

<p>Had the same lens back in 1995 and sold it to a friend because I really wanted an 85 f1.2L. He was thrilled to get the 100 f2, and I ended up missing it a lot.</p>

<p>Best,<br /> -Tim</p>

<p>And another view is that an FD 80-200-L covers a lot of waterfront with outstanding IQ.<br />Plus, with the large sensors on models like the Sony NEX line, F4 is no longer "slow" like it was often thought of back in film days compared to 2.8 for example...simply offset it with a step of ISO...there's no noise issue going from ISO100 to ISO200 on the Sony NEX. </p>

<p>For low light like hockey or even some Rodeo events I have tried, the extra speed of 2.8 comes in handy so I can keep the shutter speed high without going into ultra high ISO though. :) But yeah, the thought of selling all those and getting the 80-200mm F4L is surely very active in my mind :D</p>

I don't know if they share the exact same optical formula but Canon's trio of manual focus 100/2 lenses (rangefinder,

Super Canomatic R, and New FD) each use six elements in four groups with a common minimum focusing distance of

one meter. These lenses are some of the most highly praised from Canon, they really did hit the mark with their original

100/2 design! It deserves mention in discussions of "legendary" optics.