Help me choose a MF Scanner

<p>I just lost out my bid on a Scanmate 5000. He had almost agreed to sell it for $700 (INCLUDING SHIPPING) as a best offer, but someone sent an offer above mine (probably at around $1000) a few hours after me. Such a bummer. If anyone has any drum scanners (at least 4000DPI) to sell me (I would settle for an Imacon Flextight, or a really high end flatbed such as a Screen or Scitex as well) let me know! Kind of desperately in need of one for a wedding shoot I did a couple of weeks ago and still haven't scanned. I hate most lab scans with those minilab machines. Thanks for all your guys's help and hopefully someone has something for me! :)</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><strong>UPDATE: </strong>I've received a Scanview Scanmate 5000 for next to nothing, it was practically given to me, with cables, all the manuals, discs, and even a few spare halogen bulbs with reflectors. Kind of disproves the theory that some of you had about me not being able to afford a Drum Scanner. In fact, I bought a Polaroid Sprintscan 120 a couple weeks back, and it cost me way more than the drum scanner. The Sprintscan is an OK scanner, but doesn't have the sharpness, contrast, etc... I was looking for. I will use it for now, it's better than I thought, definitely better than my Artixscan flatbed, maybe not as good as the UMAX Powerlook 3000 I had, although close...<br>

<br /> The reason the Scanmate was so cheap is that it's missing drums and a mounting station. It DOES have a built in mounting station, so that's not too much of a problem, although it seems to be not as good as a real one.<br>

<br /> If anyone has an extra drum or two (and/or a mounting station), I would be happy to trade some of the halogen bulbs with reflectors for them, at least as a partial trade.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p><strong>UPDATE II: </strong>I've now found and purchased a couple of drums, Kami drum mounting fluid, Kami tape, and a sheet of mylar from the graphic arts store. I will try to scan my first image this weekend and post it here.</p>

<p>Is the Kami Mylar a lot sharper than normal clear mylar you buy in the art/graphics store?</p>

<p>I've seen many videos on how to wetmount with a mounting station, but I haven't got one. The Scanmate 5000 has a built in mounting station at the bottom, but I haven't seen any videos or photo instructions on how to use it. The user manual is not very helpful either... Can anyone point me in the right direction about this?<br>

<br>

Thank you!</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>For $1,999 at B&H you can get a Plustek Optic film 120, which is a new contender, and may do the job for you. I have not used it personally.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't know if you've read the rest of the posts. But I think we've established that my budget is in the $500 range, and that for $2000 you can get a drum scanner, or a used Imacon Flextight II, or a used Nikon D8000 (possibly D9000) or for much less other scanners. Really don't think the Plustek Opticfilm 120 is worth it, especially considering all the better options you can buy and how these Plustek scanners don't keep their value well! Thanks for the suggestion though.</p>

• 1 year later...