Aperture Priority Mode Question

<p>Hi All,<br>

So, for almost a year now, I have been shooting in Manual mode and haven't given any of the other "advanced modes" a try (Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority). So I am use to taking a reading off of the subjects skin and setting my camera accordingly.<br>

<br />In AP mode, I noticed that I can still take a read off the skin and use exposure comp. to get desired results, however, won't my settings change once my sensor is pointed to the eye of my subject? I noticed that the shutter speed changes...</p>

<p>Any answer helps!</p>

<p>Thank you all in advanced :0)</p>

<p>Brandy, looking at your pictures I understand that you have a Canon camera. I use Nikon and it has a button in the back that I can program to lock exposure, then you can move to the eyes to focus with the exposure locked. Check your camera if it has the same feature.</p>

<p>I have a D3200. Actually I've been playing with it last week. I think will be the same on D3000, you can choose to lock both exposure and focus, focus or exposure, I think that is. I prefer to lock just the exposure and leave the shutter-release button just for focus.<br /> <br />I notice that the camera is measuring all the time, when I find what is need be measured I just press the AF/EL button and then I take care of composing and focusing. By the way I use a couple of manual focus lens where locking exposure is important. It works with flash too.<br /> <br />This is very useful for any kind of photo, where you can measured the right light and don't get fooled. For landscapes for instance, you can make better measure if you measure the right light (like a blue sky) that is not always where the focus will be, or where you will be pointing the camera.<br>

For skin is perfect.<br>

I fell like I have a real meter separated from the camera. I know is silly, but is how I feel.<br>

Important: Just make sure to unlock for the next shot !! You can see a sign in the viewfinder showing that exposure is locked.</p>

Indeed; in any of the auto modes the settings will change whenever the light meter sees something different.<br>An auto exposure lock (AE lock) will stop that behaviour. You must indeed not forget to unlock the exposure settings again.<br>The way you were working before (manual) is also perfect for getting a reading, adjusting the settings to what you want and not have those change when recomposing. And not more work than first allowing AE to set another thing first, before you change it manually. So i would consider switching to manual mode again when you decide you need to override AE.

<p>Generally you'll use Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority when you want the camera to react to changing light conditions. In the situation that you describe (portrait shooting), then you may prefer Manual mode OR you can use Exposure Lock to lock the exposure and recompose. Look in your manual to see which button to push to lock exposure when in any Auto Exposure Mode.</p>