Unable to view photos on sd card

georgeburke

<p>Hello</p>

<p>I use 16 gb sanDisk Ultra memory cards (30mb/s) with my Nikon D5200 DSLR. In the past I have interchangeably used my five or so memory cards without a problem. However, a recent batch of photos (mostly stills) on the card cannot be accessed when the card is inserted into a PC with my Integral SD card reader. i have not had this provblem before, and would be upset to lose the photos. However, I have hope as windows recognises the fact the card is full but when I click on the folder it juist comes up with one file named "trash". The photos can also be viewed on the LCD screen of the camera when the card is inserted.</p>

<p>Any suggestions for what I can do, or perhaps I must just wait until I get home to my mac where I have Nikon ViewNX2 software installed; i reckon there is a better chance of it picking up the photos.</p>

<p>I also do not have a micro USB cable with me so trying that is not an option at the moment.</p>

<p>Many thanks</p>

<p>Adjusting Windows Explorer to show hidden files may give you access to the photos.</p>

<p>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7</p>

<p>By saying that you have used cards interchangeably, I hope you don't mean that you keep adding files/photos without formatting in-camera. As long as you format with each new use per camera you should be fine, though.</p>

<p>It doesn't sound like a "show hidden files" thing. In fact, I've no idea why Windows would try to hide images.<br />

<br />

First step, I'd consider moving the read-only tab on the card to make sure that no helpful operating system mangles whatever's there, until you've managed to get the images off. It bodes well that the camera can still read the data, so it's definitely there. Have you used this card successfully with that card reader before? There's a surprising lack of compatibility between card readers and cards - it's taken me quite a lot of goes to find something that works - especially at full speed - with everything I own.<br />

<br />

If the camera can read the images, I'd suggest as a short-term solution using the camera to download the images (just plug it in directly). I'd normally use a separate card reader, but if it's working, it would seem to be the obvious thing to try, and at least it shouldn't cost you anything. I'd format the card in the camera after you've downloaded everything - cards do sometimes get into a funny state, and the presence of a trash folder does suggest that a desktop operating system has been doing things to it.<br />

<br />

Paranoia suggests that you check you're looking at the right drive. I mention it only because I've made that kind of mistake before, and Windows is quite good at picking arbitrary drive letters and changing its mind.<br />

<br />

Good luck, and I hope that helps.</p>

<p>Hook up the camera as a card reader using the built-in USB port.</p>

<p>If you can see them on the camera, I'm guessing you will be able to see the photos then.</p>

<p>If you can, transfer them, then do your normal backup routine.</p>

<p>Then, format the card, take a few quick test shots and see if it will work now.</p>

<p>If not, and you can verify that this is the only card doing it, trash it.</p>

<p>Definitely <strong>do not format the card</strong>, until you've recovered the pictures from it.</p>

<p>This free (open source) software from Transcend will get back any photos that are recoverable from the card:<br /> http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/Software-4/</p>

<p>I've used it a few times in the past, and if there's anything recoverable on the card, it'll find it. Remember though, that what you're viewing on the camera screen is usually just a thumbnail Jpeg, and not the whole file. However, if you can zoom into the review on your camera, that's a good sign, because it means that the image data are still there and intact.</p>