Types of films suggested for a trip to Italy...

ken_lo

I am planning a little trip around Italy in February (Milane, Venice)

and the only camera I would like to take along is a M7. As I will be

traveling with some friends I imagine I would be taking a lot of

pictures with them as foreground subjects. My question to you all is

whether I should bring only slide film or should I also bring along

some negative films? I usually only use slides for landscapes but

with the new purchase of a projector, perhaps taking slides of people

would also be an option. My concern is that with only one camera

body, switching films in the middle of a roll is out of the question,

and using many types of films may just be too confusing. Would

anyone suggest me shooting with negatives only? Either case, what

are your suggestions?

Thanks for your advice.

Ken

Ken,

it seems to be time for a second body ;-) No, I shoot people regularly also on slides, but I have not found an universal slide film for landscape and portraits yet. Agfa's CT100 comes close, but it is not Provia nor Astia/Sensia, but something in between. Yet skin tones are quite ok, something which I cannot say from E100VS, SW, Velvia, Kodachrome and sometimes Provia (depending on the light).

So if you usually take Provia or more saturated films for landscape, then in my eyes it makes no difference if you have to carry another slide film or negative film. Nonetheless slides would be more convenient for a mixed slide show - maybe shoot everything altogether on Sensia/Astia or CT 100 ?

If you are used to slides, I'd stick to them. I recently got some prints from slides back which were just about perfect, also including portraits.

I'd stick to slide, and I wouldn't shy away from using Velvia on cityscapes. I've just returned from a holiday in Goa and its vivid colours bring buildings to life. Having said that, at this time of year you'll need bright sunshine to avoid using a tripod. Provia 100F is also great and gives you the extra stop, and can be rated at 200 if necessary (must be done for the whole roll though!) Buy yourself a little plastic gadget for getting the film leader out of the roll once rewound mid roll, then you can reload, put the lens cap on and shoot back to the number you were on before safely.

Keep it simple. You're going on this trip as a holiday and to have fun. Don't

muck around with different films and worrying about a second body. Just

shoot on slide film and have fun. Take only slide film so you won't even give it

a second thought. Use whatever slide film you want and you'll probably be

fine. In my case, I shoot people all the time on Velvia and E100VS, btw. I'm not

sure why other folks have problems with them. I consider Velvia to be my

normal slide film and E100VS to be my "fast" slide film. For your trip I'd pack

the E100VS.

If your intent is to fish, you buy a boat. If your intent is to fly, you buy a plane and not a boat. If your intent is to project your images, then you shoot slides and not color neg films. This isn't difficult to understand.

For general shooting on vacations I prefer print film because my chain or reproduction isn't as limited. With a roll of Reala I can get stunning proofs and prints up to 11x14 and really not have to worry if it's high noon lighting, shadows are too heavy, or being slightly overcast, or other annoyances I just don't have time nor the patience to screw with on a vacation. If I have some control of the conditions or am willing to be patient with a nice landscape shot waiting for the lighting to get right, I'll blow some slide film. If I want to walk around a foreign city with unknown lighting and capture it's fidelity with a minimum of goofing around and concern I'll shoot a high quality print film. What looks pretty on a projection screen doesn't always make a good print from a slide, and that's a reality you'll have to make a firm decision about before you buy film.

At the least, if you're not really familiar with the hyper saturated, zero lattitude super contrasty slide films like Velvia or E100VS I'd take something with at least some decent exposure lattitude like Sensia 100.

If you can shot three rolls per day, how about starting out early with a roll of slide film, switch to print film for midday, then back to a roll of slides for late. Which flavors is up to you as all slide film is good. Velvia is good for landscapes but tends to make humans look sunburned.

Scott hits is pretty much on the head in theory and in practice, but let me add a little from experience on several trips to Italy in the winter, most recently Roma and Firenze last month. I also normally shoot slides. Pack a supply of Provia 400F (or make it your only film, it's certainly sharp and fine-grained enough) because the light levels are low, between the winter gloom and the narrow streets. I also suggest packing a few rolls of Portra 800. I always travel with at least 2 bodies so two films isn't a problem, but it's easy enough with the M to rewind mid-roll at the end of the day, and load up with 800 color neg for the evening. Why do this? Because by the time you add CC filtration to daylight-balanced slide film you lose too many stops of light. You don't really have a problem during the day indoors as most places like cathedrals are lit at least partially by window light. But be sure to take a table tripod and small ballhead, as it will save your butt over and over. Brace it on any hard surface, vertical or horizontal.

Ken,

Sounds to me like you are a print film candidate all the way

[projector purchase aside.] Exposure latitude is kinder esp. for

those portraits where your friends are in the foreground and St.

Mark's is behind, brightly lit. Also, you can bring along some 100

for daytime and some 800 [Kodak or Fuji, but I like the Kodak

Portra 800] for evening stuff. Don't be too concerned about your

film choice: slide or neg...you'll still come back with pictures!

By the way...if you do want to bring different films, you can change

in mid roll. Just make note of what frame you are on...release

and rewind and when you hear [and feel] the film let go of the

take up spool...STOP...remove the film with the leader still

hanging out [hopefully]....mark the cassette w/ the frame number

[bring a sharpie marker] and keep handy for next use. When you

are ready to switch back...reload...and expose frames [w/lens

cap on and camera under your coat] until you reach where you

left off [add 1 or 2 more clicks to make sure you have no overlap.]

This is not something you want to do a lot, but it's not too

inconvenient once or twice in the day. Enjoy Venice!

I've shot in <a href="http://www.jimtardio.com/italy.html">Italy</a> pretty extensively. It's a colorful place regardless of the season. If you want to shoot slides, I've always favored Provia 100...and I've been happy with the results.

<p>

I'd stick with one type of film. If you want to bring along something faster, carry a small point and shoot with some faster negative film.

<p>

Also, film is available everywhere in Italy. If you need something it's not hard to find.

<p>

Have a great trip...stop at Lake Como or Lake Garda between Milan & Venice if you have the time.

I love films with striking colors. But just today I went through a load of prints I shot with Fuji NPS 160, and not only it feels more real to me, it projects something that is both interesting and challenging. These were mainly city shots, taken in Eastern Europe; I'd say -- try one roll, before you go, and if you like the subtle effect (this is not an ultra saturated film, it renders colors as pastels, and has very accurate skin colors), go for it.

Although your q. has been answered, I thought I could put in my $.02 worth. Italy as mentioned is darker than you may suspect. You will find the evenings set in early. Are you aiming to hand hold. Friends are often in a hurry to move on.

My last trip to the north in their winter had me on my limits at 400 asa. Some 800 was ok but did not offer the contrast sought. I now use saturated colour emultions. Experience has shown me that having different speeds in your bag is more problem that it's worth with out two bodies.

I use Neg for correction purposes and my personal style is to print all (800-1000+)images to 6x8 and selecting telling shots print to 8x12 mounting them in a folio for guests. *I do use pro labs.* After all what did your trip cost.

There are as may options as there are Photogs. Airport X-rays may be less of a problem with neg. -- Enjoy your trip.