Sayonara Fuji GF670?

c_watson1

<p>Looks like the end for these beautiful film cameras:</p>

<p><a href="http://petapixel.com/2014/08/25/fujifilm-to-discontinue-its-medium-format-gf670-folding-rangefinder/#more-143306">http://petapixel.com/2014/08/25/fujifilm-to-discontinue-its-medium-format-gf670-folding-rangefinder/#more-143306</a></p>

<p>Some chance, if rumor mill chatter matters, that Fuji might replace it with a big-sensor digital version.</p>

<p>The report contains one or two factual errors re the GF670 and the wide angle version without bellows, so.......?</p>

<p>The film Fujis discontinued about ten years ago that are still being used quite extensively are the 6x9 6x7 and 6x8 (in Japan only) rangefinders. If the report on the GF670 is correct expect some good prices (Already that at B&H is reasonable, compared to the similar Bessa versions made for Voigtlander-Cosina).</p>

<p>With the Pentax 645 digitals at comparatively reasonable prices Fuji may not be interested in competing with an RF digital and a fairly limited market, but who knows? And rumours are rumours. Better to wait for a Fuji announcement.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some chance, if rumor mill chatter matters, that Fuji might replace it with a big-sensor digital version.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If Fuji does come up with a big-sensor digital camera (which would be great!), it's a very safe bet that it won't look, or operate, at all like the GF670. It will be like a Fuji X-series or Sony A7-series CSC, only slightly bigger.</p>

<p>I recall buying a Plaubel Makina 670 when it was near the end of its production (around 1990?) at a great closing price, and they are still doing fine service today (I sold mine in the mid to late 1990s for nearly twice what I paid, in order to buy a mint used Mamiya 6 kit. Not sure if the B&H price represents a closing value, but the Fuji is likely to increase in value as a used item, as did the Makina, after production is eventually ceased.</p>

<p>Jens, it was true for the Makina and may be for the GF670. While both are not as modern as some 120 film cameras presently available they seem to be popular in some degree for their coupled meters. My GSW 690 III once retailed for about 1500$ (in Canada, with our then more depreciated dollar), but nobody is willing to spend that much on one today, even for low use mint examples, and rightly or not I feel it has something to do with the lack of a coupled exposure meter and exposure automation. They are great photographic instruments, but not widely appreciated and probably because they are meterless. What do you think?</p>

<p>Arthur, some auctions show relatively high prices for the 690 III series, if they are in mint condition. Around 800 Euro.<br>

For an amateur or hobbyist the obstacle might be the missing coupled meter. For someone who is serious about photography with film it won't be a problem, because chances are high that he already owns a hand held meter and knows how to use it.<br>

I know the 6x9 Fujis are marvels, but if Fuji stops producing the MF line we will see more films to disappear. B/W is no alternative for me, because life is color IMHO. So I can as well sell them, before their 'values' approach the 100$ or Euro mark.<br>

These cameras have never been targeted to the 'auto-everything' mass market. But stopping the production of a MF camera system definitely sends a signal to the 'community'.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

<p><em>"if Fuji stops producing the MF line we will see more films to disappear."</em></p>

<p>Films disappearing is not a consequence of the halting of production of any particular camera line. Films disappearing and the halting of film camera production are both consequences of something else - there is simply not wide enough interest in film photography in general anymore.</p>

<p>I heard that film production for still camera use is driven in large part by the use of film in the motion picture industry and cinemas and as long as Fuji still has orders for that they will likely continue. Ilford like Fuji has interest in silver base materials for both shooting and printing so that may help the sales. But cinema projection is undergoing change, of course. I use both film and digital, as I know others do (not usually general photography users) and would very much like to see limited (and no doubt more expensive) sales of film, as options are always more desirable than having none.</p>

<p>As for colour, it is hard to compete with digital, which is more convenient (some colorists still prefer the rendition of film) and the MF digital camera will probably always be available notwithstanding the progress in resolution made by the Nikon 800e or the Fuji A7r.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Revenue from "Imaging Solutions" is a small part(and film and film cameras a<em> very </em>small part<em>)</em>of Fujifilm's overall revenue:</p>

<p><a href="https://www.fujifilmholdings.com/en/investors/performance_and_finance/segment_information/index.html">https://www.fujifilmholdings.com/en/investors/performance_and_finance/segment_information/index.html</a></p>

<p>I doubt they're losing money on film products since they've managed to adapt to the reality of a residual market.</p>

• 9 years later...