How to export the pictures to make a happy couple?

the_boy_bd

<p>Hi Guys<br>

Im shooting my first wedding this weekend as the main photographer has broken his foot(i was just meant to be second shooting). I'm not o worried about the wedding, more of how to deal with my shots after. I will be shooting in the highest RAW format on a Canon 60D. Then transferring to Lightroom. Should i make them a DNG? when it comes to exporting what settings would give me the highest quality images to give to my friends? Any help would be greatly appreciated<br>

Regards<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>On the 60D, is there more than one raw setting? I've never used a camera that had more than one raw option, so for me, raw means raw and speaking of the "highest raw setting" sounds funny. But I think some of the Canon and maybe Nikon cameras do allow multiple resolution raw files. Anyway, if you do have a choice (like 24 vs 36 megapixel raw), ask yourself in advance whether you really need the HUGE files that the higher quality will produce. I bet you don't.</p>

<p>Do not give your clients DNG images! They won't know what to do with them. Clients want processed JPEGs. If you can shoot raw + JPEG and if you're a pretty good shooter who gets the exposure right 98% of the time and if you have your in-camera JPEG settings tweaked so that JPEG output looks pretty good right out of the camera, then you can do something like this;</p>

<ol>

<li>go home after wedding, copy files to hard disk and backup</li>

<li>open in Lightroom and make a first pass through the files, identifying and deleting accidents, test shots, etc. and making the ones that jump out as outstanding</li>

<li>select some of the outstanding ones and export them to, say, 1600 pixels on the longest side.</li>

<li>copy to Dropbox folder then send link to clients</li>

</ol>

<p>In step 3, you can watermark them if you do that; I do, some people don't. If you don't watermark them, just assume that they will very quickly be circulating on the internet without any credit to you — regardless of what your contract says.</p>

<p>•</p>

<p>By the way, that is not what I have done. I did start shooting raw + JPEG when I started using 32 GB cards. But as a rule I've kept the JPEGs only until I had time to process the raw files. The JPEGs were just my 'insurance' files, in case something awful happened with a raw file, I have hoped that the JPEG would be usable. Actually, I've never needed the JPEGs. I did think for a while that I'd do what I recommended above — give the couple some out-of-camera JPEGs like on Monday morning. But I never did. </p>

<p>Rather, I go through the photos and start processing them all carefully. I try to send some samples — and not just of the handful of best shots — as soon as possible, within a couple of days. But they're all processed. That's me. Maybe if I shot more weddings I'd have done it more efficiently. Probably that's true.</p>

<p>Good luck. Breathe, don't dehydrate. Don't panic! :-)</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>First thing to do is make your immediate backup of all your files onto a secondary drive or DVD and do not erase your cards until everything is in place. When you say give to my friend, do you mean the photographer? IF so all you need to do is give him the copied raw files and let him deal with the post production end of it since you do not know what to do. </p>

<p>No need to switch to DNG. LR recognizes, and can manipulate the CR2 RAWS non destructively. Simply Import (copy NOT move) as CR2s, edit, then, once you are finished with the edits, simply select all your deliverables, and 'export' them as JPGs all to one place. Just remember to have LR sequence the filenames so your deliverables are consistently numbered.</p>

<p>It's so simple, a simpleton can do it! (even me!)</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Im shooting my first wedding this weekend as the <strong><em>main photographer</em></strong><em> has broken his foot </em>(<em>i was just meant to be <strong>second shooting</strong></em>). . . <em><strong>Any help</strong> would be greatly appreciated</em>"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Firstly - I would be asking why the Lead Photographer (assumed they being the person who still holds the contract with the Client) cannot work, or at least why they cannot attend and assist having <em><strong>only</strong></em> sustained a broken foot.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Yes - there are three (3) <em>raw</em> settings available on an EOS 60D, I think that it is wise for you to use the largest setting, but you need to have the card capacity and/or the number of cards so to do.</p>

<p>I agree that you do not need to convert to DNG if you are importing to a current version of Lightroom.</p>

<p>Finally I would suggest that you be sure that understand exactly what contracts are in place and what those contracts mean, apropos your responsibilities and liabilities. <br>

<br>

WW</p>

<blockquote>

<p>why they cannot attend and assist having <em><strong>only</strong></em> sustained a broken foot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A broken foot is pretty serious actually. If you have a cast the first two weeks or so it will hurt like h*ll when you stand up and the blood flows to your feet and expand. And you must wear crutches so your hands are not much use either. Walking up and down stairs is a mess as well. And standing up means standing on one leg, can't do that all day.</p>

<p>So what good would an assistant be that can't carry anything and take ages to walk and can't walk any longer distances without stopping for rest and need to sit down from time to time and needs to take some serious painkillers to be able to be there at all?</p>

<p>PS. Above is my experience when I broke my foot in a sports accident in my late 20s. Someone who is maybe in their sixties, 300 lbs and out of shape would have a lot more problems than that.</p>

Thank you all for the great feedback. The main

photographer is going to be mainly in a wheelchair,

Hopefully it won't be a scene from Little Britain, So

the responsibility is now on me. Luckily its my good

friends wedding and they are totally aware of my

capabilities.

The converting in to a dng has gone out the window now.

It's the exporting out of lightroom eg long sized edge

that I'm not 100% about.

<p>I can understand the confusion. He was arranged to be the main photographer. As it my friends wedding i asked if i could just take candids. The other photographer had no problem with this. We don't know another either, just spoke on the phone. I'm going to keep and edit my own photo's to hand over at a later date. Hope this clears it up a little</p>

<p>The other photographer is a relative newbie as well, so i think he was kinda happy that i could be getting more/different shots. This wedding has not been done like a normal wedding business transaction if that makes sense. As in neither of us were charging, more of a learning curve.</p>

<p>Mark,</p>

<p>Thank you for clarifying the situation. I assumed that you were employed by the Lead Photographer as a "second shooter" and my query as to why the Lead Photographer was not more active in the shoot took into account that assumption and was an answer to your broad question "<strong>Any help</strong> would be greatly appreciated"</p>

<p>I am glad that you have detailed answers re exporting: and thanks to the efforts of Michael for his endeavour.</p>

<p>Good Luck with your first solo.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>The wedding is this weekend. Are you familiar with the Little Britain Sketch with Andy and Lou? Lets hope it's not like that! I'll try and get a shot. I took all comments in humour.<br>

Thank you William for your words<br>

Roll on Saturday (see what i did there!)</p>

<p>On a serious note: as already mentioned this forum is littered with tales of grievances between Client and (‘newbie’) Wedding Photographer. In essence the majority of those complaints come from the Client and the Photographer, each, not having a clear understanding of expectations and capabilities. Even if the Wedding is shot pro bono, it is a very good idea to articulate the key points of the ‘contract’ in writing.</p>

<p>On a less serious note: I am quite familiar with “Little Britain”.<br /> Yes I did note the pun that you made – here is a pun for you:<br /> Roll on Saturday - Break a Leg.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>PS - You might come back and let us know how it all went . . .</p>