EOS 7D Mk 2

pjmeade

<p>I love this camera already and I will definitely buy one as soon as I can. I'll have to because mysteriously my 7D has stopped being as good as it was the day before the 7DII was announced! Seriously, I still love my 7D and consider an excellent camera, just as excellent as the day I bought it. But I'm very excited about the new AF in the 7DII. I had hoped that they'd put the 65pt AF in it but I never imagined that every AF-point would be a cross-point. I agree with Robin that this camera looks like a home run! And it costs the same as the 7D did 5 years ago!</p>

<p>I think this camera will be a solid sales success and a good performer for those in the sporting and wild life arenas.<br>

It will have first rate AF and frame rate and the sensor/processor looks to be a step ahead of the 7D. Some may criticize the IQ at low and maybe high ISOs compared to Sony and Nikon FF but this is not a landscape camera and it's not FF. There are better tools for these jobs. But for its purpose it will be the best there is at this time.</p>

This camera has fantastic specs. I don't understand why people are so ho-hum about it. Evey model is not going to be revolutionary and if it were, there would be complains about their models being worthless.

When the 7DII was announced, there was more being said about it on the Nikon Forum and they wished Nikon had an equivalent sports model. Unfortunately that thread disappeared. Thankfully, the Canon moderator is not that controlling.

<p>Kerry, I think that a lot (most?) of those commenting are commenting simply because it's a new camera, yet they have no experience shooting sports or wildlife, which is where this camera is squarely aimed. Sports and wildlife photographers immediately salivate and some, like me, pre-order the camera with no in-depth reviews. Those that don't shoot sports and wildlife, complain about the APS-C sensor (not full-frame), lack of swiveling screen, lack of social media conveniences, etc.</p>

<p>Right now I shoot with a 5D MkIII/7D tandem, but really have to be careful with the 7D when the ISO exceeds 800 and the AF is not near as consistent and accurate as the 5D3 in AI Servo mode. I find myself constantly shooting the 5D3 with my 500mm lens and my 2.0x TC-III to get both the file quality that I like and the reach. I'm confident that the 7D2 will improve both AF and file quality so that I can use the 500mm bare, or with the 1.4x TC-III, taking advantage of the much higher pixel-pitch without a penalty in IQ. We'll see...</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>If there is any doubt...then a quick flip through the following will tell you where this camera is targeted:<br>

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2014/eos7dmk2_afGuidebook.shtml<br>

Canon has done their homework and has solicited the input of hundreds of experienced sport/wildlife photographers....and the 7D Mk II is the result. Guess what wasn't important to them? .....flip out screen and/or wi-fi.<br>

I,like David, try to avoid going ISO's above 800 with my 7D....and AI servo inaccuracy can be frustrating at times.<br>

The 7D Mk II will focus like a $6.5K 1DX ,for what I paid for my 7D in 2009! Focus @ -3EV, f/8 ...... up to 10 frames/sec...silent shutter mode.......wow!<br>

Don't recall anyone lamenting the fact that a 1DX doesn't have a flip screen.<br>

Can't wait to introduce the 7D Mk II to my 500 f/4.<br>

</p>