Any idea of how the FD 100mm F2 will work for macro with an adapter?

gabriel_gerena

<p>For macro, there's no need of a (minus) lens in the adapter (but make sure you buy an FD>EOS/EF adapter in which the lens can be removed).<br /> Should be OK, if still closer than on the old FD cameras.<br>

If you have to, or want to, use the lens at more distance, the minus lens in an adapter will definitely cause some degradation of the image.</p>

<p>I'd go the EF mount route in any case, <em>unless I wanted to shoot with FD-mount film cameras, too</em>. <br /> Frankly, used Tamron Macro 90mm f/2.8 lenses in EF-mount are pretty reasonable, and will give you a nice 90mm general lens, as well as macro.<br /> By the time you've paid for an FD lens <em>and</em> the adapter, what have you ended up with after all is said and done?</p>

<p>Disregarding any adaptation to other mounts, I'm not as optimistic about the potential macro capability of the 100/2 as Stephen is. I used to shoot quite a bit of macro. I have all the "real" FD macro lenses and I experimented with several "ordinary" FD lenses on the bellows, though I can't say I tried the 100/2 specifically, though I own it. While people generally speak about the difference in flatness of field, I found that the ordinary lenses suffered a great deal, not only from curvature of field, but in terms of distortion and overall sharpness as well.</p>

<p>They perform better when reverse-mounted, but that brings about another basket full of complications--mounting adapters, diaphragm adapters, etc.</p>

<p>I'd buy the macro. The 100/2 is a nice lens for normal shooting, though quite soft wide open, but I don't have high hopes for it in macro. And of course, its speed will be useless in macro, though you may perhaps be hoping to get a fast conventional 100mm plus true macro capability in one package. If Canon could have done that in the FD days, perhaps the 100 Macro would have been f/2.0!</p>

<p>Though two stops slower, the FD 100/4 Macro is a perfectly good conventional 100mm for ordinary shooting.</p>

<p>Gabriel - exactly what sort of adapter are you thinking of, extension tubes, a diopter lens, bellows or what, and on what camera body? Also, what degree of magnification do you expect? What is your budget and what do you plan to photograph? For instance, when using higher magnification, a tripod becomes extremely helpful, and almost a necessity when using a bellows or long extension tube. The attached shot was a crop of high contrast watch back in normal overhead lighting, using the lens on a micro4/3 body - the standard adapter provided for infinity focus without glass...so you can get an idea of the lens' capabilities in a close up (but not true macro) setup.</p><div>00co3Y-550884584.JPG.ec48f9bb2fef680bdfbedf7e7493c3b2.JPG</div>

<p>Sorry I should have provided more info.<br />I am using this on a Sony NEX-6 camera with a Lens Turbo 2 adapter.<br>

I have the 100mm F2 already and to the person that says is quite soft wide open...maybe you had a very bad copy because I bought this lens at a good price to resell it and was so amazed by how sharp it is that I kept it. My favorite lens right now!<br>

I had the FD 50mm 3.5 before and sold it and now I am getting some regrets of selling it but thought that maybe I could improve by getting either the 100mm Macro or an adapter for my 100mm F2.0 but it seems most people are against normal lenses turn to macro.<br /> I guess still that trying with a cheap macro adapter will not be a bad idea and if that fails to amaze me then I can sell it and go for the macro lens.<br />I am not HUGE into Macro, specially when it requires me to add a flash etc so is not crucial but I would like to have the option for when I want to do some macro images.<br />Currently my Only macro options are my 35-105mm F3.5 and 70-210 F4...not exactly awesome macros :D</p>

<p>I also have the 100mm f2 and it is NOT soft wide open - in fact it is already pretty stunning, especially in the centre. Perhaps, as someone has mentioned, the example that Alan said was soft was not functioning properly. I've tried it with the extension rings that came with my FD 50mm macro and it behaves wonderfully and produces excellent quality macro pictures.</p>