Buying my first L lens, a 17-40 f4 or 24-105 f4L?

mark_stephan2

<p>I have the Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, Tamron SP 70-200 f2,8 Di VC USD, Canon 100-400 L and a Canon Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 EF IS USM. My cameras are a 6D, 7D and 40D.</p>

<p>The 17-40mm L is a good wide angle lens on the full frame 6D. As far as shooting people close up, waist up portrait type shots, even at 40mm there is a fair amount of distortion, even the 50mm will distort the faces a little. Can you use it, sure you can, but for shooting people you will get more realistic looking results around 70mm-90mm in my experience.</p>

<p>For wide angle stuff, the 17-40mm L rocks, a fun lens and one you will be pleased with for landscape and group shots. It's a cool lens to have and can be used for people shots as long as you don't mind a little distortion. Sometimes it is desirable if that is the effect your looking for.</p>

<p>If people shots are more important right now, pick up a lens with a little more reach. If wide angle is more important, pick up the 17-40mm.</p>

<p>Eventually you will want the other range which ever way you go. If this is a great deal, jump on it.</p>

<p>BTW, the Tamron SP 70-200 f2,8 Di VC USD is a fantastic lens, great for portraits.</p>

Cheers, Mark