Kodak Retina Type 126 shutter body helicoid reinstallation question

<p>Hello:</p>

<p>I'm hoping someone can help me out.<br>

I have a mid-30's Kodak Retina I picked up for $1.22 plus tax.</p>

<p>I cleaned the hazy lens cells, got the focus helicoid freed up & went to reinstall the shutter into the helicoid<br>

and made two stupid mistakes.</p>

<p>1) I screwed the shutter body in to check it would go in OK, but I didn't not have the focus 'ring' or 'stop screw' installed, so I couldn't remove it...the shutter and moveable helicoid in the front standard just kept spinning. Probably 30 minutes later I figured out a way to remove it again.<br>

2) I put the focus 'ring' and stop screw in and now cannot thread the shutter and standard helicoids together.<br>

Another half hour later, I think I realized I didn't pay attention to the orientation of anything. I think I need to know what orientation the moving helicoid should be in and how to get the shutter body threaded back in. I must have been lucky the first time.<br>

Anyone know the proper way (orientation) to put the shutter back onto the standard?</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Murray</p>

<p>Usually the focussing helicoids do not have a certain orientation. However, the threads have very little play and must be put together very precisely. If one of the parts is just a little bit tilted it will be impossible to put them together. <br>

One method which might be more successful is to press both parts against each other and turn the helicoid backwards, i.e. into the direction it is screwed OFF. When the parts have reached the end of their threads you will feel a slight somewhat snappy movement. DO NOT use too much pressure, if the end of the threads is just slightly damaged it will be impossible to get them together again. <br>

Do not forget to lube the helicoid thread. I always silicone based grease (or oil, if the focussing was too stiff). There are also special greases available from Micro-Tools. </p>

<p>Thank you.<br /><br />I'll give it a try again.</p>

<p>I don't know, and maybe it won't matter, whether it was a poor choice, but I was given a can of Mobilgrease 28 by someone, and I don't remember what convinced me to taave used some kind of synthetic grease I was given by someone who worked in an aerospace industry andke a chance with it.<br /><br />It''s least important quality is its ruby red color. I think the first rescued camera I tried it on was an Agfa with the notorious green 'cement' lube.<br /><br />http://www.mobil.com/Colombia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENGRSMOMobilgrease_28.aspx</p>