Advice on Mirrorless Camera

<p>Hey everyone.<br>

I’m looking to buy my first real camera (upgrading from a point and shoot). After doing quite a bit of research and holding cameras in my hand, I have ruled out dslr due to the weight and narrowed it down to the Olympus E-M10 and the Sony A6000. The main things I will be shooting are rock climbing, outdoor scenery, night time star shots, and family gatherings. My plan is to get the kit lens and a medium telephoto lens (something like a 40-150mm lens) straight away.<br>

What do you think is the better camera? I know the a6000 has better specs in most categories, but the major down sides are no IBIS and lens. The E-M10 has 3 axis IBIS, so I am wondering how that compares to the stabilization built into the Sony lens. Also there seems to be a fair amount of thoughts that the Olympus lens are of higher quality than the Sony. I am only planning on getting those two lens specified so I am not speaking about the availability of high end lens.<br>

Overall I know I can’t go wrong with either camera, I just wanted to get some more opinions.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>When you factor in the lens, the EM10 package will be much smaller. For rock climbing, you should get a much wider lens instead, such as the 9-18, 7-14, or the 12. If you plan to climb and shoot, the 7-14 may be a bit too big, and I would just get the 12/2. </p>

<p>Both system are of very good quality and I suspect you won't see a difference in 99% of your prints. Take the cameras in your hands and decide which fits better.<br>

I have an "older" m4/3 camera, the Pana G3, and love the compactness of the camera and the lenses. Image quality is excellent, but my largest prints are only 16x20 square inches.</p>

<p>if you are only planning on getting the kit lens and a telephoto zoom, i'd probably just get the Sony then. the larger sensor will do a bit better in low-light situations. you also have a bit more room for cropping with the a6k's 24mp. it also gives you a little more latitude if you decide to print big. you get stabilization with the kit lens and the 55-210 is also stabilized. however, if you decide down the line you want to add more lenses, the Oly lineup is more robust and hi-end-oriented than Sony's current offerings.</p>