Extree, read all about it. New Guide to Om D EM1 guide book for the pure of heart

GerrySiegel

Just arrived today, and looking forward to do more than peruse this fat volume. How does one peruse a 400 page

softcover book anyway? I know that other owners have kvetched about the Olympus manual which is not a quick field

guide to this -er complicated- menu camera, ( did the engineers leave out anything likeo compass variation on hikes org.hjt. sunset times by latitude?) so others like me may want to cough up 23 bucks and spring for the book.

All I can say is that it looks professionally assembled with color pictures and good indexing. And tosses in

some freebies on digi picture taking too...... I will write a mini review after a week or so, don't rush me.....

I have hesitated to send in my camera to factory, no camera still won't connect to my HDMI HD TV input from the micro D cable...bummer that.

Not a big fat deal but surprising to see a dead port on top of line model.... HDMI is the current best (until something new gets standard approval...)standard to mate with my Panasonic TV for review and live shooting even, although I PAD is avaiabe but not 37"

glorious inches, righrt? I am under warranty but decided to hsng in there until I can test the other ports

like the audio stereo input with my external TASCAM mic. (Glad that Oly answerd their hotline fast (from Ecuador

or Colombia, nice person got to add) but said rep only confirms that I may have to send it to the factory and do

the on line form fill out etc. I hate to let the camera go.

(Why because I like it a lot and it has become my go to machine, even beyond my very nice Lumix GH3. The camera

has a well crafted RRS Arca Swiss base intimately designed to fit this model like it was grafted on by an

orthopedist. Recommended, Fits like a sports bra....:-)

Don't mention the cost.. yeah I sprung for the 12-35 Lumix a year ago, capitalist am I ..Hey.If not for top of

the line camera I would spend my discretionary leftovers on cruises up the Amazon or genealogy trips on river

boats down the Danube. Or a helicopter hire to land on a New Zealand glacier. You say why not do both? Reason

is wife hates air travel... prefers first class or business and did not reveal said preference while dating:-)..need to learn solo travel again avec camera bag and backpack.... Actually, I

have been thinking of portraiture again. May save for a session with an experienced model to get back in the

mode or go to local community college with wall signs...Model Mayhem is a non starter I have found in islands,

waist of time with y yokels who post with no intention of working and modeling is WORK..........when you have

to pay and teach posing, it works not for me, sorry.

Back to the purpose of the post. Someone was waiting for a Rosetta Stone for this new flagship one man band

machine. So......Stand by for a recommendation on the book. Hey 23 bucks... same as .one 16 gb SD card. Right,

sportsfans? aloha, gs<div>00cegD-549189084.jpg.427230f4ba574f737cb1a1ee010a30e3.jpg</div>

<p>Gerry, thanks for posting. My local B&N doesn't have this in stock to look at, so maybe you can answer a simple question:<br>

Do the authors give simple instructions to accomplish a task?<br>

For example, is there a section on Custom Programs that says "here are the four steps (or whatever) you should follow to create a custom program."<br>

Thanks.</p>

Aloha Bob,

As I plunge deeper into this book, I can unequivocally say that the writer attacks all settings with pages after pages of menu options, with a few recommendations attached to some. At least an explanation of why one would want to set a menu option in some fashion. It goes well beyond what a normal photographer would need to learn this camera's menus and buttons and settings. I mean did you know you can combine existing images in a single frame and adjust the level of illumination in each picture you do in multiple bursts? You can also do a lot in camera and create JPEGS that crop and adjust with some of the standard and some non standard flavors of coloration. It is not aimed down to the checklist format if that is what you hope for. If anything, one comes away at first thinking this camera is too refined and has too many options to keep in the head. Each menu gives to a sub menu with a sub sub menu. After looking into it about 2/3 of the way now, I feel that this camera is only for someone with the patience to learn its intricacies and willing to put time into keeping it all in the head....and lastly, learning to set MY SET fall back menus for what you do a lot. A safety net capability. It is a superb asset to anyone puzzled and looking for something more explicit than the company manual. Willl I learn to do all the stuff it can do, not to mention learn the difference between Panasonic approach to video vs Olympus approach....maybe. Still I say " Buy It." Go to Amazon and you won't be sorry I betcha....happy trails photofriend....I send my EM-1 to repair this week, still have a dead HDMI port, and I want all ports active, as in all ports in a storm as we say.......

Let us know what you think of it Bob. Amazon reviews are mixed. I don't know what readers expected. This is one tough camera to get a grip on. It will take a lot of guides for the perplexed to get it to work its magic. I may keep mine on variable program, center weighted metering, and auto WB for a while. But some day, while on the can, I may pick up the Busch book and seek out some elegant variation.....gs

<p>Gerry - early report is that it wasn't what I was hoping it would be. Has a lot of descriptions of features and what you can do, but not how to specifically program the menus to do anything. I know - I'm looking for the easy way out. I should spend a couple of days in a closet with just the camera and figure it all out. But I was hoping for someone to do that for me:) I may return it to B&N today (if they are open on the holiday).</p>

• 4 months later...

<p>I've been a Nikon user all along, up to the D4. I am not selling my Nikons! I like this camera, I don't like the convoluted settings, same as everyone else it seems. So far, I think the camera is best for portraits, landscape, anything still. However, I love the size, weight, and good build. I bought the 12-40/f2.8 (lovely lens) and 75-300...okay. Not great for birding and very fast action. I think probably people action will be nice. Dogs racing around...more difficult. My daughter is printing out the manual for me which will be easier to go through. By the way, the Scenes are this camera are quite nice!! Try them. One more thing, even though the camera has IS, it is very easy to make OFF pictures.</p>

<p>Photo: </p>

<ul>

<li >

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/cameras/olympus/e-m1/">Olympus E-M1</a>

OLYMPUS M.75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II

</li>

<li >ƒ/6.1</li>

<li >200.0 mm</li>

<li >1/8000</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li >ISO 16000</li>