EOS 500 and two lenses

ara_arzoumani

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm in the market for a new DSLR. I have an old Canon EOS 500 QD 35mm film camera with two lenses. I was wondering how much you think camera (and lenses are worth)?<br>

If there are no buyers, I was wondering if I could instead use the lenses. Would these lenses work on a newer Canon body? say a SL1, T4i or T5i?<br>

<strong>Cam body</strong>: Canon EOS 500 QD<br>

<strong>First lens</strong>: 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 III<br>

<strong>Second lens</strong>: 75-300 EF 1:4-5.6 II<br>

thoughts? suggestions? advice?</p>

<p>KEH and ebay can give you an idea about the value of this camera + lenses, the value will be lowish.<br>

The lenses will work on any EOS camera. The performance will not be stellar though but it's better than nothing. On an APS-C body like the ones you mentioned 35 mm has a field of view of around 55 mm so you'll need a shorter lens, perhaps the kit lens. </p>

<p>Keep the 500 for a film body, some of us still use old film cameras.<br /> It's likely in any case to be worth more to you than the time and effort spent selling it.<br /> The lenses are as good as they ever were and will still work just fine on all EOS digital cameras. However, technology has continued to march onwards and upwards since then, so they don't have much resale value either.<br /> IF you get an APS-C camera like the ones you mention, the "lens factor" effect of 1.6X will mean that you no longer have even modest wide angle at 35mm.</p>

<p>You might want to consider the "kit lens" option of the EF-S 18-55mm IS which is often sold very cheaply with the bodies. It will probably outdo the 35-80mm anyhow. A more expensive substitute is the very, extremely, handy EF-S 15-85mm IS, in some senses the descendant of your 35-85.</p>

<p>As a sidebar of sorts, while <em><strong>all</strong></em> EF lenses will work on all EOS cameras, those marked EF-S will mount <em>only</em> on the APS-C bodies.</p>