Anybody try the Olympus OM-D E-M1 for sports?

john_holcomb

<p>The big issues would be EVF lag, shutter lag, AF quality/speed, and performance at ISO 800-1600. I could see the combination of the E-M1 and 50-200 SWD or 150 f2.0 being a viable option for sports, but have concerns about the foregoing, and would like to hear from anyone with personal experience.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Yes. I am very, very pleased with it. I only use the Single AF mode (I find Continuous AF useless). AF speed has not been an issue for the sports I shoot as DOF is large enough typically to compensate for any AF error. I have learned to compensate for EVF lag by shooting slightly ahead of a moving subject as I pan. No issues with ISO up to 3200 as use DXO software - their Prime NR gives incredible results.</p>

<p>What type of sports will you be shooting?</p>

<p>Horse racing, football & baseball. In the film era, pros would carry a high-end C or N body with 300/2.8 lens, another with an 80-200 2.8, and perhaps a third with a 50 or a wideangle. I imagine that they carry about the same today, substituting full-frame digital bodies for film.<br>

It seems like a reasonable compromise for an amateur to just go with a good APS sensor SLR, and match it with the 80-200. One can add an mFT camera, or other large-sensor compact, with normal or wideangle, and do most of what the pro can do, with very little loss of quality.<br>

So I suppose my question is whether you can take the quest for compact, portable equipment even further, and use an E-M1 with appropriate glass in lieu of, say a Nikon D3s or D7100, without offsetting compromises?</p>

<p>The only 'compromise' I find is lack of continuous AF. And I have learned to use the camera effectively without it, even with sports. And I very, very rarely miss the shots I want. I have been using the Olympus OMD system for over 1 year, starting with the EM5 and have not yet missed using my larger/heavier/fancier Nikon gear under any shooting circumstances. Is the OM1 a D300s? Of course not. But the D300S is not an OM1 either. Both have their advantages/disadvantages over the other.</p>

<p>There is no simple answer to your question. You may need to try the system out for yourself to see if you like it or not. A friend of mine currently owns a D7000. Last year he tried my OM5 and did not like it. When I upgraded to the OM1, he decided to try the OM5 I was selling again. He ended up buying it and has not used his D7000 since - he absolutely loves the EM5.</p>

<p>The OMD EM1/EM5/EM10 systems are not for everyone. But for those that take the time to intimately learn how to use them, the rewards are great.</p>