New Epson Scanners Announced

<p>Hello. Couldn't find this anywhere else on the site. Epson has [have] announced two new flatbed scanners--the V800 and V850. Preliminary info is available at <a href="http://www.photographyblog.com/news/epson_perfection_v850_pro_and_perfection_v800_photo/">this blog</a>. Not sure what the scanner hardware improvements may be, but but the holders have been updated for better flatness and the inclusion of ANR glass, which (IMO) is a Good Thing. (No prices yet.)</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>Just got the improved 35mm holder. For curled film, it's a lifesaver. (Scanning 60-year-old Super XX that was coiled in a film can for that entire time.) The anti-Newton-ring treatment on the plastic inserts is very effective, no rings with the backing side of the film against the insert. <br>

Also very easy to adjust film height for focus.<br>

Only concern is safe storage without scratching the plastic inserts.<br>

I haven't had any static problems causing dust -- yet.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the information. A question: can 35mm photos be entirely scanned with the new holder (no lateral cropping)? Also it is unclear to me from the specs that B&W photos can be scanned at 16bits greyscale; however given that color photos can be scanned at 48 bits, it seems to me that 16 bits B&W scans are possible, right?</p>