D3s Battery Replacement

2Oceans

<p>Aloha, Any thoughts or suggestions on D3s battery replacements. I have seen the Watson and Pearstone brand EN-EL4a Lithium-Ion batteries advertised at B&H. The Nikon brand battery for the D3s is back ordered perhaps permanently, and when I sent in a prematurely failed but out of warrantee battery to Nikon they wanted $198.00 to fix/replace the battery. So I am looking to by a third party if that is the best I can come up with. I noticed that KEH has used nikon batteries so that may be a good alternative though I have never purchased a used battery. Thanks</p>

<p>I had two D3's for 4.5 years. Your instinct to stick with Nikon batteries is imo a good one; others may differ. The aftermarkets may not work with the Nikon battery life indicator.<br>

I'd try widening my search for the Nikon batteries if you haven't already. If that fails, buy the aftermarket ones with a good return deal, just in case. </p>

<p>The EN-EL4a should still be available new; many cameras can use them (including D700 and D300 family cameras with battery grip) that are still going to be in use for some years (and Nikon has said they will continue to make the batteries). I would have taken Nikon's offer for a replacement - ok it's a little more expensive than the usual price but not that much. I would guess you can get it by ordering and waiting for a month or two at the most (go to a shop which doesn't have a long waiting list; smaller dealers who sell Nikon professional gear may get it faster than large online retailers).</p>

<p>Like Ilkka said: EN-EL4as are still available. Prices range from 125 to 180 € (vat included) in a faraway northern european country. I only checker two sources.<br>

I used to order some photo equipment from USA, maybe the tide has changed :-)<br>

If you just broaden your search or follow Elliots's info, you will find them locally, I am sure.</p>

<p>have 3 aftermarket batteries for my D3 and D3s. no issues at all. have 4 aftermarket batteries for my D600. no issues at all. everything works great. costs less than 25% of nikons price. well worth it. grips and batteries...hell no will I ever buy nikon. way overpriced.</p>

Everyone would prefer to buy nikon. Most want bang for buck. A few years back before the huge amount of aftermarket

mfr came along there wasnt options. Today no need to pay crazy prices grips flashes accesories batteries. Excellent

options today.