One Light Setup

<p>Hey all. I'm wondering if anyone has a few examples of well done one light portraits. I'm really interested in trying to see what kind of great images can come from an extremely simple setup.<br>

Also, what is an ideal lighting source to use if I'm planning to only use one light? From what I see and read a lot of people love to use octa softboxes, but I'd like to see what others have to say about that.</p>

<p>Check the archives of this forum for the <a href="/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/?category=Lighting+Themes">Lighting Themes</a> category, dating back to 2007 and earlier. Brooks Short and Garry Edwards posted several illustrated tutorials. There were a couple on one light methods, including this one: <a href="/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00KAf3">LIGHTING THEME: Chiaroscuro With One Light </a>by Brooks Short. And <a href="/photodb/user?user_id=26782">Tom Meyer</a> may have examples in his portfolio or on his website.</p>

<p>Other sites with tutorials for one light setups include:<br>

<a title="Photoflex Lighting School illustrated tutorials" href="http://www.photoflexlightingschool.com/sites/WebPhotoSchool/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Photoflex Lighting School illustrated tutorials</a><br />Formerly known as the NY Web Photo School, this site offered some excellent free tutorials and paid tutorials. In 2011 the site was revamped and now all tutorials are free. Well worth a look. It covers everything from indoor product photography to studio portrait and outdoor portrait tutorials.</p>

<p><a title="Studio Lighting website illustrated tutorials" href="http://www.studiolighting.net/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Studio Lighting website</a><br />offers an excellent resource for illustrated tutorials demonstrating easy, inexpensive techniques for a variety of lighting challenges including headshots for actors and entertainers.</p>

<p>every person (subject) is different, and there are many types of singular light sources. See Irving Penn, Richard Avedon just for a start. Sometimes one bare head is great, other times it's the open sky with your subject just inside the door. <br /><br />One light is my preferred. Two if I really think the background is an issue without it... t</p>

I have a number of them. In my portraits portfolio at ellisvener.com

The one of the guy with the chandeliers In the background was shot with two Canon 580EX II Speedlites in a Chimera

SuperPRO medium soft-box about 32x40-inches) to his left.

As I recall, the two executives. Were shot with a Paul C. Buff Einstein monolight in a Chimera Octa2 Beauty Dish

mounted on a short boom and placed just above the camera, the background islit separately.

The one of the young woman sitting on an upholstered chair, and looking to her right, was shot with a single Broncolor

head in a 22"diameter Broncolor Beauty Dishonest a short boom nearly directly above her.

The guy framed by bicycle frames was lit with a MultiBlitz Propac1 and a single head mounted in either a small Chimera

SuperPRO rectangular soft-box or the Chimera Octa2 Beauty Dish.

Tom Meyer has a number of terrific ones on his site as well, http://www.twmeyer.com

<p>Tyler, Tom's shot using door way is typical of his great work. I love working with windows and doorways as well. They are quick and you don't have to lug them around, don't need power and are useable without an assistant. One of the things I like about the shot is the ratio. Remember, you can adjust the ratio down by moving further from the opening/window and into the room. A reflector isn't always needed. It can be a great "one light shot" using BOB, the big orange ball, as the source and the sky as a reflector through a shaping device giving direction to the diffused light, a door or window. Here's a shot with only the sun as a source, one light, but since I have 2 windows I am able to pick up a kicker/hair light for the same price. Free. In a CA winery re-creation of a castle with 3' thick walls. Castello d'Amorosa. Shot after some wine "tasting." Ok, in my case, more like wine drinking. First is edited shot, second shows where the light originates. </p><div>00ckWT-550260784.thumb.jpg.7761ddef370c5f1e3d01679d949b0065.jpg</div>