Nikon D800 to D810

Caledonia

<p>Adobe has posted beta versions of the new ACR profiles that address the D810 posterization problems when using Camera Landscape, Camera Vivid, Camera Monochrome, and Camera Standard. They also have betas for the other profiles:<br /> <a href="http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/camera-standard-profile-displays-posterized.html">http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/camera-standard-profile-displays-posterized.html</a></p>

<p>I tested the new profiles, they are much better.</p>

<p>As much as I ultimately came to love my D800, it was a difficult love affair. I wrestled with fine tuning most of the lenses I used on it, and it really only "sung" with a few... noticeably the 24-70G, 70-200 VRII and especially the Sigma Art 35 f/1.4. I sent it in to Nikon for the AF point recalibration like most owners, but that and other idiosyncrasies didn't sour me on the camera.<br /> <br /> I also knew as soon as the D800E images started posting later in 2012, that the aliasing was a truly noticeable difference. I had to work hard at technique, tuning and a bit of luck to get the keepers I was seeking, and finally got in a groove with the D800.<br /> <br /> None of this proved to be the case with the D810. For starters it transformed my 80-400 G VRII into the truly awesome sharp lens I had hoped for, and negated the focus chatter. <br /> <br /> I did fine tune a few other lenses, and yes, I'm sure the work I put into mastering the D800 helped, but I was getting virtually instant gratification in the form of high quality keepers with the new D810. <br /> <br /> Yes, I got soaked a bit selling the D800 and I can't afford to throw money around. I'm glad the guy who bought mine got a good deal on a clean D800. But I am totally satisfied with my decision to bump up to the D810. I don't allow myself to get bogged down in perfecting my set-up, but now it's all more about the sheer joy of shooting! Nikon got this camera right. </p>

<p>Maybe I'm not as picky, but as a film photographer since about 1970, 35 and 6x6; I have worked with the Nikon F, F2, F3, F5, Pentax 6x7 and Hasselblad 500C. My introduction to digital was a little disappointing with the D2. I was shocked by the performance of my 800E. I shot a theater production in a darkened theater anywhere from 6 to 60 feet, and the exposure quality was spectacular. It's going to take a lot to get me to move up now.</p>

<p>Nikon has changed the button layout on the D810 a bit. The quiet shutter mode is now really quiet, but I am most happy about the new quiet continuous option. The metering mode button is moved to the top of the camera, replacing what used to be the bracketing button to accommodate the four different settings (with the new highlight biased mode Ellis mentioned earlier).</p><div>00coji-550992684.jpg.f2b1d7a1a834b7c316c5113cfdc4d048.jpg</div>