Hahnemuhle ICC Profile Problems

<p>I have finally obtained some Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl after wanting to try it for ages because of the results I have seen in the prints of other photographers on the same paper.<br /><br />I have never had to use anything but Epson's ICC profiles until now since I used Epson papers. I downloaded the correct profile for my Epson 2200 Photo Stylus(I know, old, but it still does a fine job in my eyes).</p>

<p>The problem is that I do not see the profile listed in the printer settings print profile selections. However, if I go to apply/assign this profile to an image directly in Photoshop it is there. So I assume that what I would do is apply/assign the Hahnemuhle ICC profile to the image directly in Photoshop and in the printer settings select allow Photoshop to handle colors?<br /><br />Any information will be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>You <strong>don't</strong> want to Assign the profile. You could use <em>Convert to Profile</em> however, printing that in a modern version of Photoshop will be impossible because there is no "No color management" option since CS5. The profile should show up in Print. <br>

What OS and version of Photoshop? Can you upload the profile for us to try? You're using an RGB document right?</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>By in print you mean the settings box that opens when I select print?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Photoshop's Print dialog yes. It does filter profiles if they are not legitimate. For example, if you had a grayscale profile with an RGB document, modern versions of Photoshop would not show you that profile. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>You can find it here in their archive for Epson 2100/2200. It's the same for both models.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What a convoluted process they have for downloading a profile! No, I'm not about to fill out their info request. Pop it on a web site or use YouSendIt or something (send to via email) and I'll see if it shows up in Photoshop on Mac. </p>

<p>When you say "printer settings print profile selections", exactly which dialog are we talking about?<br>

<br>

The Hahnemühle profile <strong>will not</strong> show up in the print driver's "media type" selection—that will only ever show you a list of official Epson papers. In that dialog, you want to pick the Epson media type Hahnemühle specifies in their handling instructions (which should have been zipped up with the ICC profile). </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Hahnemühle profile <strong>will not</strong> show up in the print driver's "media type" selection—that will only ever show you a list of official Epson papers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly, those are media settings not ICC profiles. But in <em>Print</em>, there is a section all ICC Profiles for the color space of the image <em>should</em> appear. IF they appear in <em>Assign</em> or <em>Convert to Profile</em>, they <em>should</em> show up in the Print dialog, color management area to select (<em>Application Manages Color</em> has to be on). The only exception again is that in newer versions of Photoshop, profiles are filtered based on the image one is about to print. There's no reason to show a pile of CMYK ICC profiles if you're printing to a device that expects an RGB profile. </p>

<p>Ok I was able to sort the finding of the profile myself. I must have been doing something wrong but I am not able to select it under the proof set up to see what the image should look like on the paper using their ICC profile.</p>

<p>Now my issue seems to be my laptop monitor. It obviously needs calibration because the prints come out so dark in some cases I can barely see them. I am test printing some of my higher contrast black and white images since this paper is supposed to be so good with those types of images. I have to brighten them so much in PS to make them print ok that they look washed out.</p>

<p>I am totally frustrated since I am in a situation where I can not obtain a calibration system. I am not even close to a place where I could rent one for a day.</p>

<p>The calibration method windows 8 uses is terrible. For starters here IS no contrast "knob"or button to be able to adjust it for their calibration method.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now my issue seems to be my laptop monitor. It obviously needs calibration because the prints come out so dark in some cases I can barely see them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml</p>

<p>neither do 99% of us. there's nothing stopping you from significantly lowering your display brightness, adjust the image 'to taste' and then make a small print. Rinse & repeat until the 'print is too dark' problem corrects itself.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also do not have hundreds or thousands of dollars for a special viewing booth like he uses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You don't have to spend hunderds of dollars, you can make your own (examine Solux bubls or task lamp). But you do need something you can control that has a good illuminate.</p>

<p>I did reread it and saw the halogen bulb option. I am going that route as I believe I have some.</p>

<p>As for dimming my display the issue with that is usually modern laptop LCD/LED screens don't get really dark and the prints I am getting are so dark that my screen can't get that dark. </p>

<p>You don't have to <em>just</em> dim the display to get a match, you <em>can</em> raise the intensity of the print viewing illuminant. The LuLa URL provides the necessary steps to do so and allows you to determine if the print IS too dark (that's a different problem) or if the issue is the mismatch between display and print viewing conditions. HOW you view the print is kind of important!</p>