Photoshop CC's Hard Proofing not working?

<p>I plan to print a Photo book with b/w pictures in offset, using CMYK printing.</p>

<p>When preparing the pictures for print, I am proofing them in Photoshop, using the Fogra 39 Soft Proof Profile, taking care to have the "Simulate Paper Color" checked.<br>

In addition, I would like to make Hard Proofs with my Epson 3880 printer, using the Hard Proof Facility of Photoshop CC. Photoshop provides for this in the Print Dialogue. </p>

<p>In the Print Dialogue I first chose "Photoshop Manages Color"; then I enter, under PRINTER PROFILE. the profile for my paper (Baryta Photographique) "cifa_3880_baryta310_p_bk.icc". Finally i chose "Hard Proofing" and enter, under PROOF SETUP "Custom set-up". Therein i put "Coated Fogra 39"; "Relative Colorimetric"; and "Simulate Paper Color".</p>

<p>When I am printing with this configuration, the result is, to my surprise, the same as if I had printed normally, choosing "Normal Printing" instead of "Hard Proofing". This is in clear contrast to the screen, where the soft proof shows a sizable difference in contrast to the unproofed picture. </p>

<p>Is there a bug in Photoshp CC, preventing me from Hard proofing? Permit me to add that I have also checked SEND 16-BIT DATA, but that should not have any influence on the hard proofing.</p>

<p>Hi Emil - That's a good one. Here area couple thoughts to consider.<br>

- When you did soft proofing did you set the same settings as you did for hard proofing including Relative Colorimetric, Simulate Paper Color, and Black Point compensation? That might make a difference.<br>

<br />- One way to check and see if he print module is broken is to make a copy of your image and use the Convert to Profile command for the Coated Fogra 39 with the same options as you used in the print module.<br /> Then just print it out to the 3880 yet don't use Hardproof.<br>

<br />Not sure the above are your issue yet thought they were worth mentioning.</p>

<p>Thank you John for your comments. Unfortunately, it is not that easy.</p>

<p>To your first question: Of course I did!</p>

<p>To your second question: You can't convert to the CMYK Profile with the black and paper simulations checked!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In the Print Dialogue I first chose "Photoshop Manages Color"; then I enter, under PRINTER PROFILE. the profile for my paper (Baryta Photographique) "cifa_3880_baryta310_p_bk.icc". Finally i chose "Hard Proofing" and enter, under PROOF SETUP "Custom set-up". Therein i put "Coated Fogra 39"; "Relative Colorimetric"; and "Simulate Paper Color".</p>

</blockquote>

That's all correct. And you can click the 16-bit if you want, you'll not see any difference on the print.

<blockquote>

One way to check and see if he print module is broken is to make a copy of your image and use the Convert to Profile command for the Coated Fogra 39 with the same options as you used in the print module.<br />Then just print it out to the 3880 yet don't use Hardproof.

</blockquote>

But be sure to set the rendering intent to Absolute Colorimetric!

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>When printing the copy, converted to CMYK with absolute colorimetric, shall I use "Photoshop controls colors", as well as apply the printing profile for Baryta Photographique?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes. Absolute is the RI you use from CMYK to Baryta.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>OK, I tried the test proposed by John and Andrew, using absolute colorimetric and the profile for Baryta Photographique, when printing the file after conversion to CMYK. The result is: no difference to the earlier prints. </p>

<p>I am forced to conclude that the HARD PROOF function in Photoshop is not working (at least not in co-operation with Epson 3880). Although I am able to soft proof the file in CMYK on screen, which shows a sizable decrease in black and contrast (w SIMULATE PAPER COLOR checked), I do not get a Hard Proof that looks like the soft proof. Rather, the printed HARD PROOF looks identical to the normal RGB print.</p>

<p>I might add that the original file, although in the sRGB color space, is a black and white picture. It may be that the HARD PROOF is accurate as concerns color rendition, but it definitely fails as concerns to replicate how a b/w file would look in offset print. </p>

<p>Andrew, have you ever tried to make a corresponding HARD PROOF with a b/w picture and gotten a result that resembles what you are seeing on the screen (w "Simulate Paper Color" checked)? It may be that there is a bug only in my system.</p>

<p>I suspect everything is just fine, you don't see any cross rendering effects with B&W. Try using a color reference image to test your theory about the bug: http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip<br>

Even with B&W, you should see an effect on the paper white of the Epson proof whereby the CMYK paper was simulated onto that paper (unless both share very similar Lab values which is kind of hard to believe). </p>