Baja California -- San Jose Del Cabo

eric_arnold

<p>hi,<br>

headed down to Baja California for 12 days. mainly chillaxing but might be some photographic opportunities as well. plan to explore san jose del cabo, la paz, and the baja desert. taking a light kit -- 2 x fuji xe1 w/ 14/27/35/60 primes, 18-55 OIS zoom; Nikon J1 w/ 10-30, 30-110 (mainly for telephoto, video), flash w/ off-camera cord, gorillapod, ultrapod, ND+CPL filters, extra batteries and memory cards, chargers, laptop. think that covers the basics, unless i forgot something.</p>

<p>my main question is, anyone been down that way who can recommend some things worth photographing? My GF has friends down there, so we will be with locals some of the time. not planning on doing anything super-tourist-y, more looking for quiet coves, white sand beaches, natural scenes and the like. any helpful</p>

<p>thanks,<br>

eric</p>

<p>It's been many years since I visited Baja, and that was mostly bicycle tours to Ensenada and San Felipe. The main difference I saw was the incredible poverty of the Gulf coast compared with the Pacific coast. Along highway 5 I saw homes made from appliance crates and cardboard boxes. But there were few significant towns between Mexicali and San Felipe - it was mostly desert. The economy may be better closer to Cabo.</p>

<p>I suggest a renting a car and taking a day ride up the west side of the isthmus from Cabo towards Todos Santos. It is a cute and photegenic town. Have lunch at the Hotel California if you are a fan of 70's music. You can Google things to do and see along the way. <br>

I found a lot to shoot along Rt 19 between Cabo and Todos Santos - especially many huge Saguaro Cacti most of which are filled with big, black buzzrds. Make for a nice composition - sort of Hitchcock like with the ungly birds on the arms of the towering cacti.<br>

From Todos Santos, you can continue north to LaPaz which is also interesting. If you go there, check out Espirito Santo for wildlife - marine and avian. If you hit LaPaz , you will need at least one overnight.</p>

<p>Sunrises and sunsets are very photogenic and easy to shoot. Whale watching (depending on your season) is very exciting. Cabo San Lucas is the wild town crowded with young folks working to stay pretty drunk for their entire stay. If you are an adult with a spouse, Cabo San Lucas is fun for a night or so. Great opportunity to shoot street life. <br>

When you tire of the crowds and alcohol in CSL, run up the coridor and visit San Jose del Cabo which is the "other" cabo. Far less crowded, far fewer drunks and way nice local shops and excellent restaurants. Good food can be found up and down the entire Corridor linking the 2 Cabo's. Easy, short taxi or rental drive. In fact, I recommend staying along the strip between the 2 towns for ease in visiting both.</p>

<p>One last thing about Mexico's version of TSA. Major league pain in the ass with photo gear when i tried to fly home. They confiscated a 2" Allen wrench which I carry in my bag to attach my camera plate. Guy told me it was a "tool". I began to argue with him and actually got a little heated, but my wife had the good sense to pull me away. I think she had visions of her Yanqui husband spending a couple of nights in a Mexican jail. The sercurity was incredibly lax, but no one was going to get a 2" allen wrench past his lane.</p>

<p>I visit Cabo regularly and if I never set foot in CSL again, it would not bother me. Do explore Todos Santos though and up to La Paz. Quite different.</p>

<p>Enjoy the trip. </p>

<p>by the way - if budget permits, try dinner at H restaurant. Good chow in pretty setting.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...