18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G AFS ED DX Zoom-Nikkor

chris_gibbons2

<p>I have kept the 18-70 from the D70 days. I still use it.</p>

<p>I'm sure it's not the best mid-range zoom lens. But, it may be the best mid-range zoom for $130 used.</p>

<p>A little story: Two years ago, a pro photographer doing group photos at an event had a malfunction with his pro f/2.8 zoom. He borrowed my 18-70 to complete the shoot with good results.</p>

I used the 18-70 as the sole lens on a Himalayan trek a couple of years ago, and it was just fine. And with an old D70, no

less. Last year I used an 18-200 with a new D7100, and I don't think the results were any better. I've concluded that what

one points the lens at accounts for 99% of the variance in the resulting image, and the lens for only 1%. OK, maybe the

camera accounts for 1%, too.

<p>Chris, I think you will really like the 18-105. As much as I like my 18-70, the 18-105 for me focuses more accurately and I've never thought of it as being "slow" to focus. I've focused on running children with no problem. All my indoor low light shots are very sharp too. The VR really helps with that. Have fun with your new lens. </p>