Shutter interference

melandkeifspics

<p>Anybody ever heard of issues regarding their shutters being intefered by certain frequencies in the air? For example, both I and another photographer bothed experienced shutter sync issues when shooting at the same location on separate occassions. Then some one went on to say that maybe there was a frequency or signal (like wifi) within the building that was causing the issue. Is that even possible? It really freaked us out. We shoot with 5DMII, 5DMIII, and 1DX.</p>

When you say "shutter sync", do you mean you were using a flash? And, if that is correct, where you using wireless

devices to trigger your flashes?

I believe it is possible to have interference causing problems with wireless triggers, and that interference could cause

shutter sync issues if you shoot near the highest shutter speed allowed for proper sync.

If you are talking of something else, I don't believe a camera, of any known manufacturer, could receive interference from

"normal" wireless signals, which could mean you were exposed to an abnormal amount of RFI.

<p>It certainly is <em>possible.</em> (although very unlikely) </p>

<p>You don't specifiy, however, the nature of your shooting. Where you using a flash? wireless triggers, etc? (as Ruben has alluded to). More specifically, were you using 600EX-RTs OC? or st-e3s?<br>

-- This is the only likely (brand specific) hardware that would be subject to interference from RFI. 3rd party radio wireless triggers are too numerous to list, but since most don't try to send ettl data (simply trigger the flash) are not as sensitive, although those that do are likely uniquely sensitive (ie, different hardware has different sensitivities) - was the other photog using similar hardware/setup?</p>

<p>Regardless, if an RFI cause (if indeed that is the cause) which caused any impact all would likely cause much <em>greater</em> impact than simply banding. </p>

<p>Any 'local' emissions strong enough to cause more than simple interference (ie. interfering w/ the cameras internally, or a hardwired flash) would need to be BLATANTLY signed and warned of.</p>

<p>If you were not using flashes, a simpler explanation seems vastly more likely... ie. mid->high shutter speeds in a primarily fluorescen lit single phase (lighting anyway) venue.</p>

<p>The old 5D wasn't shielded very well and when near a strong RFI source--transmitting tower--all my images had strange artifacts. Also, some wireless triggers did the same thing (Cactus comes to mind). Haven't noticed said problems with newer gear but I stay away from that damn tower...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Puppy- Very cool (I know I never had a problem like that)! I wonder if the artifacting was affected by direction as well as proximity? Did you get a chance to explore the impact more than anecdotally?<br>

Of course the sensor is by far the most sensitive piece of electronics in the camera (and designed to be such), so, especially if the emissions were directed down the throat of the lens (whether by the emitter, or reflected), I could totally see a very strong emitter causing artifacting and additional noise (which, I'm sure, would increase disproportionately at higher ISOs).</p>

<p>That said, for the RFI to cause problems with the shutter, triggering, and other digital signaling within the camera's 'normal' board (regardless of how weak it's shielded), I would predict that the strength would have to be several orders of magnitude beyond the point where it is impacting the IQ.</p>

<p>This conversation has me very curious though, I wish the OP could post more details about their setup, experience, and output.</p>

<p>I was using my 600EXRT on my camera at the time the error occured. And yes, the problem did seem like it was a sync speed problem, but if I'm not mistaken, the 5DMII will not allow you to fire a shot if you are above 1/200s.</p>

<p>That said, I removed the flash and still experienced the same issue. So the issue I experienced occured with and without the flash mounted.</p>

<p>It was like some kind of weird Bermuda Triangle thing. I only brought up the subject because of how it affected me and another photographer on separate occassions. It just seemed freaky...</p>

<p>Here are some <a href="/photodb/folder?folder_id=1069465">sample images</a> of the issue I saw in camera. Thanks</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=1069465</p>

<p>However, it's not uncommon for the 5D2 2nd shutter to occasionally stick and give an error and/or dark curtain in the image. Pull the battery and it should go away. If it happens more often the prognosis isn't good. Those photos--if the flash was off--look like symptoms of a shutter failure.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter