meter mode "LIGHT" question

steven_endo

<p>The other night, on a whim, I brought out my New F-1 to try to take a picture of the "blood moon". Thanks to nature, that was a bust (clouds).</p>

<p>But something odd happened. When I set my meter mode to "LIGHT" the shutter release was disabled while the meter needle was illuminated. I haven't used my cameras for a long time and so I don't know/remember if this normal. Is it?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Steven,</p>

<p>Not sure which finder you have on your New F-1, but on mine, where I have just the prism finder, (no AE), when I set the light meter to "LIGHT", the scale lights up in my viewfinder and my shutter button is still fully functional.</p>

<p>Again, depending on your finder, maybe there is some kind of lockout on the shutter if the scene isn't bright enough.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>At the time, I had the AE Speedfinder and AE Power Winder installed as well. I tried it just now with the AE Finder (and AE Power Winder) and the same thing happened again, the shutter release was disabled (did not fire camera). In both cases, as soon as the needle scale went dark, the shutter worked fine. Oh, and of course the battery is fine (or else the needle scale wouldn't light up, I guess).</p>

<p>Steven, setting the metering to "Light" should have no effect on the shutter release. It should be the other way around. Tripping the shutter actually turns off the illumination. My guesses are either a weak battery or perhaps some dirty switches or magnets. You could try tripping the shutter with the meter set to "Light" but with the battery removed to verify whether it really is your metering switch or if it's just a coincidence. Remember that the New F-1's shutter will not operate with a dead (or weak) battery installed. Also try exercising the switches that have electrical or electronic functions.</p>

<p>I'll try installing a new battery. Come to think of it, it has been in there for some time...</p>

<p><em><strong>EDIT: </strong></em></p>

<p>After (of course) I hit the "Submit" button ,it dawned on me <strong><em>why</em> </strong>you guys are probably correct (about the weak battery). With the light on, it is probably sucking enough juice that there is not enough to fire the shutter.</p>

<p>Thanks! I'll swith it out and let you know.</p>

<p>There's probably just not enough current left in the battery to trip the electromagnetic shutter. The incandescent grain-of-wheat bulb used to illuminate the meter draws a miniscule amount of current, probably not enough to make any difference.</p>

• 1 month later...